Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Intel MediaSDK cannot create HW device

Scannell__Kevin
Beginner

Hello,

I'm trying to write a program, based on the MediaSDK samples, to encode video as h.264. My code runs alright on my initial machine, running Windows 10, but fails when run on the target machine, which has Windows 10 Enterprise 2016 LTSB installed. Specifically, the CreateHWDevice() function in common_directx11.cpp is failing with MFX_ERR_DEVICE_FAILED. The call to D3D11CreateDevice is failing with E_InvalidArg no matter what arguments I pass to it.

DXDiag shows that DirectX 12 is installed on the computer, and the libmfxsw32.dll library is present to allow software encoding. Is there anything specific to Windows 10 Enterprise that could be causing the initialization to fail?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Scannell__Kevin
Beginner

The issue wound up being the D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG flag being passed into D3D11CreateDevice. Not sure why that doesn't work on the Enterprise LTSB build, but setting it to 0 allows the device to be created.

0 Kudos