Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Intel SDK Performance

Adi_S_
Beginner

Hi,

I want to do decoding performance comparisons between the MSDK and ffmpeg. 

Has anyone done this sort of thing? 

My very initial tests, using sample_decode from MSDK demo project vs. the ffmpeg demuxing or filtering_video sample projects show that for a single streaming HD video, MSDK is between 3-6 times slower than the ffmpeg.
I know that these are slightly different implementations - I haven't combined ffmpeg decoding directly into an MSDK project yet, but this seems very strange.

Has anyone seen similar behavior?

Thanks,
Adi 

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi Adi,

There can be many reasons you see the slower performance, and it is hard for me to comment without knowing more details. For example, what sample_decode cmd-line options are you setting?  The default parameters will not make use of any Intel hardware acceleration (without using the -hw option, and even better if -d3d or -d3d11 are used.  Also, the application was designed to show how to use the MSDK API, and not written to be used as 'performance' tool  (Your experiments might be including file read/write time, for example).

Can you provide more information? THANKS

0 Kudos
Adi_S_
Beginner

Thanks, Tony.
I'll run some more tests.
Warm regards,
Adi 

0 Kudos
Adi_S_
Beginner

Thanks, Tony.