Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Intel Video Analyzer Pro, BUG report regarding High Dynamic Range HEVC Video Analysis

John_L_7
Beginner

Hello All,

I have a BUG report.  It seems like Intel Video Pro Analyzer 2016 R2 does not support the following HEVC (H.265) High Dynamic Range (HDR) video tags:

tone_map_id
ref_screen_luminance_white
extended_range_white_level
nominal_black_level_code_value
nominal_white_level_code_value
extended_white_level_code_value
And maybe more HDR tags are missing (see discussion below)

I am trying to analyze the following public Samsung HDR HEVC Trailer for Life of Pi:
http://demo-uhd3d.com/files/uhd4k/Life_of_ Pi_draft_Ultra-HD_HDR.mp4

Intel Video Analyzer Pro 2016 R2 provides the following HDR information regarding this video:

Color Primaries: BT.2020
Transfer Characteristics: SMPTE ST.2084
Matrix Coefficients: BT.2020 non-constant luminance
Chromaticity Coordinates of Primary G: (0.265, 0.69)
Chromaticity Coordinates of Primary B: (0.15, 0.06)
Chromaticity Coordinates of Primary R: (0.68, 0.32)
Chromaticity Coordinates of White Point: (0.3127, 0.329)
Maximum Luminance: 1200 cd/m2
minimum luminance: 0.02 cd/m2
Bit-Depth: 10 bits

When I re-encode this video using the HDR tags that Intel Video Pro Analyzer provides, I am not able to get the same HDR colors as the original video.  This makes me think that Intel Video Pro Analyzer software is missing some HDR tags (some of which I listed in the beginning of my email).  The first thing that comes to mind is that HDR tone mapping information tags might be missing from Intel Video Pro Analyzer's output, but there might be additional HDR tags that are missing that I couldn't think of.  I would appreciate if somebody from the Intel development team (or a PRO user) can analyze the video and provide feedback.  Intel Development Team members/forum administrators are welcome to contact me privately via email if they wish.

Best,
John

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for this report.  I'll contact the VPA developers and get back to you soon.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

This isn't necessarily a bug in VPA.  HDR is implemented in H265 via SEI messages.  These are still often specific to display vendors and not part of the H265 spec.  This may be an area for future improvement but for now you can re-encode the SEI messages with the HDR parameters used by your monitor to the output stream.

0 Kudos
John_L_7
Beginner

Dear Jeffrey,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Those  "display vendor/Samsung specific" HDR related SEI messages are supported by the HEVC encoder that encoded the original video.  It would be extremely valuable to us to know what those Samsung UHD TV specific HDR related SEI messages are.  Samsung has over %50 market share in Global UHD TV market.  If Intel VPA were able to display/parse those SEI messages, we could analyze them and add support for those Samsung HDR specific SEI messages in our HEVC encoder.

I would be extremely happy if you consider to add support for those Samsung UHD TV specific HDR related SEI messages in Intel VPA.  Please talk to your team and let me know if this is possible.

Best,
John

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Thanks for the feature request.  Feedback like this is always appreciated and considered.  However, at this point I can't make any promises -- as you're aware, there are many factors to weigh when prioritizing.   

0 Kudos