Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3056 Discussions

Intel media SDK produces B&W frames when decoding stream from Logitech C920

paul1andrews
Beginner
I have a saved stream from a logitech C920 camera (which encodes to h264 on-board). The stream displays properly as color via other software (the other software is not Intel media SDK based). When I decode it using the Media SDK it gives me frames that are monochrome. Can you think of a possible explanation for this?
0 Kudos
14 Replies
Brijender_B_Intel
Hi,
Is there a way you can make sure that chroma components are copied properly out of MSDK decoder? MSDK produces YV12. it looks like only Y frames got copied.
0 Kudos
paul1andrews
Beginner
Thanks for your reply. The U and V components all come back as zero.
0 Kudos
paul1andrews
Beginner
I am having trouble contacting premium support regarding this - could someone from intel please reply on this thread?
0 Kudos
Eric_S_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The Media SDK is free API and doesnt have a Premium Support service, just these forums. Sorry weve overlooked this post. We try to do our best to help everybody. That being said, can I ask that you share your stream (or a piece of it) so we can take a look?

Thanks

-Eric

0 Kudos
paul1andrews
Beginner
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

I have attached the first part of a stream (just a single frame).

ffmpeg decodes this fine.

Intel Media SDK only gives monochrome (U and V are all zero).

Regards,
Paul
0 Kudos
paul1andrews
Beginner
By the way I have tried this with Media SDK 2012 (software) and with an older version (software and sandy bridge).
0 Kudos
Eric_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Paul,

I took the *.264 file that you posted and decoded it using 2012 Gold to a YUV file. That file was then imported into Elecard YUV viewer, and I dont see any issue with the color planes.

Can you elaborate on how you are viewing the YUV file? You want to make sure you have the YUV player set to IYUV format. If you open it with YV12, the color planes are reversed and the picture looks black & white (actually more blue).

-Eric

0 Kudos
paul1andrews
Beginner
Hi Eric,

I am viewing the YUV by using our own code that converts YUV to RGB and displays in a Windows bitmap. This code works fine for streams that were encoded with Media SDK.

Also, I have looked at the data and have seen that the UV plane contains 0's only. (The Y plane is fine).

Perhaps it's to do with the way we are calling the Media SDK methods? (Although the same code works fine with H.264 streams encoded with Media SDK).

I've attached a cut-down version of the code.

Regards,
Paul
0 Kudos
paul1andrews
Beginner
Hi Eric,

What did you use to decode the .h264 file to YUV? In other words, did you use packaged software that calls the Media SDK, or do you have a program with source code that calls the Media SDK?

If you have a program with source code, perhaps you can share with me some of the code so that I can see what might be different between it and my source code? This might be quicker for you than looking at my code.

Regards,
Paul
0 Kudos
Eric_S_Intel
Employee
Hi Paul,

I used sample_decode from the Media SDK 2012 download package. You can render the file as well - use the "-r" funcation. Pretty fast with only 1 frame though :)

-Eric
0 Kudos
Andrey_Kolesnikov
Hi,
I have the same issue (monochrome YUV420 at output).
What was the solution?
Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi,

You both seem to encounter an empty UV plane.

Please try the Media SDK provided sample_decode that Eric referred to using the "-r" option to render the decoded frames. If you still see B/W then my guess is that the actual stream may have been encoded as B/W.

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
H_L_
Beginner
Does the MediaSDK muxer accept FORMAT_VideoInfo on the C920 H.264 pin?
0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi, Unfortunately the Media SDK binary muxer component does not work with that input. The muxer component (and the other binary only filters part of the SDK) has not been designed or validated for such usage. The intent of the binary only filters is to provide rapid ability to test the SDK, not to deliver full featured functionality. If you need a muxer filter with extended functionality to support this use case, I suggest you look for commercial or open solutions from a 3rd party. Regards, Petter
0 Kudos