Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Intel media sdk: Decoder takes more Processing power in hw mode

Sheth__Dhrumil
Beginner

Hello

HARDWARE: INTEL I3 4150 CPU

I am using Intel Media SDk 2017 for H264 video transcoding. I have input stream 1920-1080 resolution, 29.94 fps stream with 6000 bitrate. 

On any Pc I found that INTEL Encoder takes very less processing power compare to INTEL decoder in hw mode.

If h264 encoder takes 3% processing power and Decoder takes more than 10% for same h264 1920*1080 stream.

It was very strange because decoder takes more processing power compare to encoder. 

Can you suggest me  how to decrease the processing power of decoder.

Thanking You

Dhrumil Sheth 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Dhrumil,

This might not related to the encoder, decoder depends on file I/O involved or not. Since the decoder will have more data written to the file than encoder. The other factor related to the volume of the data, if you have decoded multiple stream at the same time vs the multiple stream for encoder.

Could you also give me the command line of your test?

You might check following test:

1. Use "sample_decode" and "sample_encode" without output by removing the "-o" argument.

2. Try to input multiple streams into the samples, if the sample doesn't allow to input multiple stream, you can try "sample_multi_transcode"

Mark 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Dhrumil,

This might not related to the encoder, decoder depends on file I/O involved or not. Since the decoder will have more data written to the file than encoder. The other factor related to the volume of the data, if you have decoded multiple stream at the same time vs the multiple stream for encoder.

Could you also give me the command line of your test?

You might check following test:

1. Use "sample_decode" and "sample_encode" without output by removing the "-o" argument.

2. Try to input multiple streams into the samples, if the sample doesn't allow to input multiple stream, you can try "sample_multi_transcode"

Mark 

0 Kudos