Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Intel media server driver problem

Tomaž_H_
Beginner

CentOS version: 7.3.1611
CentOS kernel: 3.10.0-514.el7.x86_64
Processor: Intel Xeon e3 -1585 v5
Motherboard: Xeon x11SSV-M4F (Intel C236 chipset)
Graphics card: Intel Corporation Iris Pro Graphics P580 (integrated on CPU)

I am trying to set up hw accelerated encoding and decoding using quicksync. I checked all of the requirements listed in the R3 Getting started manual and based all the requirements seem to be met.

I followed the new R3 installation notes of Intel Media Server Studio, specifically the gold version install. I've set up the "Development and Creative Workstation" base environment, done all the prerequisite steps and ran the install script. Everything seems to go perfectly, however that's not the case. While the /opt/intel/mediasdk/ is properly populated (it is missing the builder folder tho), however, the graphics card device node is nowhere to be found in /dev/dri, as the dri folder doesn't even exist.

vainfo returns this:
   error: can't connect to X server!
   error: failed to initialize display
   Aborted (core dumped)

I've checked dmesg logs and found this ():
   Initialized drm/i915 compat module 20170620-16.5.2-64009-k422e5bf

lspci returns:
   00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Skylake Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 0a)
   00:02.0 Display controller: Intel Corporation Iris Pro Graphics P580 (rev 09)
   00:13.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H Integrated Sensor Hub (rev 31)
   00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H USB 3.0 xHCI Controller (rev 31)
   00:14.2 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H Thermal subsystem (rev 31)
   00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H CSME HECI #1 (rev 31)
   00:16.1 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H CSME HECI #2 (rev 31)
   00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SATA controller [AHCI mode] (rev 31)
   00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev f1)
   00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev f1)
   00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f1)
   00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H LPC Controller (rev 31)
   00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H PMC (rev 31)
   00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H HD Audio (rev 31)
   00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation Sunrise Point-H SMBus (rev 31)
   00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-LM (rev 31)
   01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)
   02:00.0 PCI bridge: ASPEED Technology, Inc. AST1150 PCI-to-PCI Bridge (rev 03)
   03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family (rev 30) (a graphics card on the motherboard solely for the purpose of a display screen)
   04:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
   04:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I350 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
Shouldn't it say "VGA compatible controller" tho?

I've set the Primary Display in BIOS as AUTO, since choosing IGFX makes the computer unable to even reach BIOS and needs to have BIOS settings reset by taking out and then putting back the motherboard battery in. Integrated graphics are set to ENABLED.

I have no idea what else could go wrong, so I decided to ask for help here. Any ideas on what could go wrong? as I don't even know where the problem is, much less how to fix it right now.
Thanks in advance

I really do hope I am posting this in the right forums.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi There,

I think your kmd part installation is not correct. you may check this in the installation script.

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos
Tomaž_H_
Beginner

First of all, thanks for the answer. I've checked kmd installation. Seems to go perfectly well to me, but I did have to add --nosignature flag to rpm inside the install script, otherwise I would get NOKEY error. Same goes with libdrm.

Installing kmod-ukmd-16.5.2-64009...
Preparing...                                              ################################# [100%]
Updating / installing...
   1:kmod-ukmd-16.5.2-64009.el7.centos################################# [100%]
Working. This may take some time ...
Done.

Also checked if kmd is installed, it is, but dri folder still missing.
# yum list installed | grep kmd
kmod-ukmd.x86_64                       16.5.2-64009.el7.centos    installed

I am still somehow convinced that the problem is with lspci not saying "VGA compatible controller"

Edit: Nvm, found out that it doesn't matter whether it says VGA compatible or Display controller.

Is it ok that the memory and I/O ports are disabled?
   Subsystem: Super Micro Computer Inc Device 093a
   Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 255
   Memory at dd000000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=16M]
   Memory at c0000000 (64-bit, prefetchable) [disabled] [size=256M]
   I/O ports at f000 [disabled] [size=64]
   Capabilities: [40] Vendor Specific Information: Len=0c <?>
   Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
   Capabilities: [ac] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
   Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
   Capabilities: [100] Process Address Space ID (PASID)
   Capabilities: [200] Address Translation Service (ATS)
   Capabilities: [300] Page Request Interface (PRI)
   Kernel modules: i915

Regards,

Tomaž

0 Kudos
Tomaž_H_
Beginner

Found the solution in one of the forum posts: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk/topic/635235

THE TOOL LISTED THERE HELPED ME OUT GREATLY AND IMMEDIATELY POINTED OUT THE ERROR TO ME. YOU SHOULD PROBABLY INCLUDE THE TOOL IN THE INSTALLATION GUIDE, AS IT HAS INVALUABLE INFO WHEN IT COMES TO DEBUGGING THE INSTALLATION.

Here is the solution, if anyone stumbles upon this thread in the future with similar problems: I've had to remove the "nomodeset" flag from /etc/default/grub and then update the config of both /boot/grub2 and /boot/efi. Couldn't have known I had to change BOTH without the tool.đ

Link to the tool: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/mss-sys-analyzer-linux

0 Kudos