Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Is HW accel possible for JPEG encoder?

nick_k_5
Beginner

Hello

I am trying media sdk sample_encode and during debug i see that pPipeline->Init(&Params) function returns MFX_WRN_PARTIAL_ACCELERATION

in fact is see with Intel's GPA that GPU is not used at all. So seem JPEG encoding cannot be HW accelerated? 

Or what i am doing wrong?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

JPEG hardware encoder supports only with Skylake generation. Up until SKL it will return partial acceleration due to fallback to software implementation.

0 Kudos
nick_k_5
Beginner

Alexey Fadeev (Intel) wrote:
JPEG hardware encoder supports only with Skylake generation. Up until SKL it will return partial acceleration due to fallback to software implementation.

Thanks for answer.. unfortunately i do not have skylake CPU for experiments..

What do You think, is HW JPEG encoder faster then HW h264 encoder with GOP size = 1?

With GOP size=1 encoder h264 produces only I-frames. So theoreticaly performance of h264 and JPEG should be comparable in this case. Or not? What is Your opinion?

nick

0 Kudos
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

these 2 have a different application, I have never compared and actually never interested in JPEG:) maybe someone else on this forum knows. or is so lucky to own Skylake to run such codec competition for our curiousity?

I personally would bet on H264:)

0 Kudos