Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Is graphic driver installed ?

rshal2
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am using media sdk server with i7, sentOS,

Is there a way to validate that graphic driver in installed and running ?

I have not seen that grphc driver installation is mentioned anywhere in media sdk start guide.

Thank you,

Ran

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

The Media Server Studio graphics stack is a special purpose collection of changes for best media processing in Linux.  It replaces components from the general OTC (01.org) stack.  You should be careful when installing other graphics components to not overwrite the Media Server Studio components.  Media Server Studio focuses on headless operation in Linux, so it may not be compatible with the OpenGL install you've mentioned.  

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Ramakrishna_A_
Beginner

Hello Ran S,

Media SDK doesn't install graphics driver as such. Simple way to check the graphics driver installation is to run "clinfo" in command window.

Other way is, start->device manager->Display adapters. If you see Intel drivers here, you have the installation. You can check the drivers version by checking the properties of drivers.

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Hi Ramakrishna, 

thank you for the quick response.
I am using linux, not windows, so I'm not sure I can do that.

If I don't install graphic driver, than there will be no HW acceleration usage, and I will not be able to even know that I am not using the HW , is that right ?

Regards,

Ran

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Several components need to be in place for Media Server Studio hardware acceleration in Linux.  For Windows client installs, Media SDK and the driver are installed separately.  For Linux, driver and Media SDK are installed together.

Here are some tests you can run:

(Assuming R6 install below)

1. Updated kernel: uname -r shows "3.10.0-229.1.2.39163.MSS*"

2. i915 driver loaded.  Check "lsmod | grep i915" and "lspci -vv -s 00:02.00"

3. vainfo: opens iHD at /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64/iHD_drv_video.so, entry points for MPEG2, H264, etc.

4. ls /dev/dri shows cardN and renderDN+128 interfaces

5. User running media app should be a member of video group

You can do a quick smoke test for successful install using the precompiled samples and test content

./sample_multi_transcode_drm -i::h264 content/test_stream.264 -o::h264 out.h264 -hw -la

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank you very much for the anser.

One more if I may.

In the developer guide it is said that there should be install of gephics driver seperately from 

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads (I have found there skl_dmc_ver1_23.bin and install.sh), in the readme it is mentioned as driver for OpenGL 3D.

But In the getting started guide it is not mentioned.

Is this step required ? 

Thank you,

Ran

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

The Media Server Studio graphics stack is a special purpose collection of changes for best media processing in Linux.  It replaces components from the general OTC (01.org) stack.  You should be careful when installing other graphics components to not overwrite the Media Server Studio components.  Media Server Studio focuses on headless operation in Linux, so it may not be compatible with the OpenGL install you've mentioned.  

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Thank you very much, Jeffery

I will add that we can use  MFXQueryIMPL 

to check if we are using HW acceleration or SW.

Thanks,

Ran

0 Kudos
rshal2
New Contributor II

Dear Jeffrey,

I hope we can continue this session.

We eventually triggered the project, and I am using the "media server studio start guide" steps.

Step 2 states "Check that an Intel VGA adapter can be found"

But on doing that I get 

r_rdk/ti814x/bin$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: InnoTek Systemberatung GmbH VirtualBox Graphics Adapter [80ee:beef]
ubuntu@ubuntu-laptop:/media/sdc/dvrrdk/DVRRDK_04.01.00.02/target/rfs_814x/opt/dv

Why does the adapter need to be Intel compatible ?

I check this first on virtualbox on my laptop, this is not the final board 

Regards,

Ran

0 Kudos