Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Issue of the function 'denoise' in sample_vpp.exe

Willa_W_
Beginner

Dear Support,

I have some questions on the funtion denoise in sample_vpp.exe. I want to use the denoise function to process the attachment file. But the noise is not removed. Please help me to analyze the reasons. Thanks.

sample_vpp.exe -lib hw -sw 720 -sh 576 -scc nv12 -dw 720 -dh 576 -dcc nv12 -denoise 30 -i 576i25_parkrun_ter_origin_YaddNoise2.yuv -o 576i25_parkrun_ter_origin_DeNoise.yuv

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nina_K_Intel
Employee

Dear Willa,

Could you please tell us which platform, OS and Media SDK and Samples versions you are using? Also, do you see that output stream is bit exact with input, i.e. no processing was done, or it is just subjective perception that the noise isn't gone from the picture? If it's the latter, can you please try with a higher denoise factor (up to 100)? 

Thanks,

Nina

0 Kudos
Nina_K_Intel
Employee

And graphics driver version as well :)

Thanks,

Nina

0 Kudos
Willa_W_
Beginner

Dear Nina,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for not having a clear discription of the problem. 

Processor Type: Intel(R) Core(TM)i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz 
        Operating System:Win7
        Media SDK: Media SDK 2014 R2 for Clients
        Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

I don't have professional tools to measure the output files. So  it is just subjective perception that the noise isn't gone from the picture. And I have tried with denoise factor 0,30,50,80,100 and the results seem to the same.

sample_vpp.exe -lib hw -sw 720 -sh 576 -scc nv12 -dw 720 -dh 576 -dcc nv12 -denoise 100 -i 576i25_parkrun_ter_origin_YaddNoise2.yuv -o 576i25_parkrun_ter_origin_DeNoise100.yuv

Please help me to check whether it is the problem of the input file. Or you can provide a file with noise. Thanks very much.

Willa

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello Willa,

I tried the denoise filter with the parameters you specified, and the denoised output is not bit-exact. There is denoise operation being performed (not bit-exact output), but the observable difference (or denoising) is minimal. We can check with our dev folks to get more information on the denoising algorithm used, for a better understanding. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

0 Kudos
Willa_W_
Beginner

Dear support,

Any update?

WIlla

0 Kudos