Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Kaby Lake Fixed Function HEVC Encode

Jordan_C_
Beginner

My understanding is that Kaby Lake GPUs should support fixed function HEVC encode up to 4Kp30 (http://www.anandtech.com/show/10610/intel-announces-7th-gen-kaby-lake-14nm-plus-six-notebook-skus-desktop-coming-in-january/3).

I have a pre-production NUC 7i5BNK with an i5-7260U processor with an Iris Plus Graphics 640 GPU. I'm using driver 21.20.16.4590. When I try to encode using fixed function hardware, by setting mfxVideoParam.mfx.LowPower = true, MFXVideoENCODE_QueryIOSurf returns MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED. If I don't set LowPower = true, it works but the CPU usage is high.

Does Kaby Lake not in fact support fixed function HEVC encode or am I doing something wrong?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Sergey_Anufriev
Beginner

Try using LowPower  = MFX_CODINGOPTION_ON.

We have another problem. 
When we try to activate FF mode for UHD (AVC, 3840x2160) on KabyLake the encoder generates an error (MFX_ERR_DEVICE_FAILED <- m_mfxSession.SyncOperation). 
On SkyLake (i7-6700, i7-6770HQ) everything works.

Config:
i7-7700K, 21.20.16.4627, Win10 (14393) x64, Media SDK 2016 R2 API 19.

0 Kudos