Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Kaby Lake: Real-time H264 to H265 Hardware Transcoding

Sivabudh_U_
Beginner

I get 4 live CCTV camera feed aggregate at about 4 Mbps encoded in H264.

My objective is I would like to cut down on the bandwidth as I need to send this feed across the network. So I'm thinking this is where Intel Media SDK can help me. My hope is that the SDK could transcode – in real-time – H264 video stream to H265.

If I purchased the Kaby Lake processor, and wait a bit until the Intel Media SDK updated its software to fully support the new processor, will the SDK allow me to fully take advantage of transcoding in hardware (thus reducing CPU consumption, thus reducing heat and power requirements?)

Anyone could help give some details to get this geek excited? ;-)

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Siva,

Could you be more specific the requirement? Are you saying 4 live stream transcoding? What is the resolution?

There are also platform restriction could apply, if you run sample_multi_transcode with 4 streams, you could see the FPS is very fast; but the real bottleneck might be from the other issue, for example the file I/O(not apply to this case, just an example).

Mark

0 Kudos