Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Kaby Lake Support for Media Server Studio

MSaue
Beginner

I'm wondering if Kaby Lake cpu's are supported by the latest release of the Media Server Studio for Linux 2017R2. It does not appear to be listed in the supported CPU's in the manual, but I just wanted to check if this is indeed true. If it will not work on Kaby lake, is there any estimate of when this support will be added?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mark_B_Intel1
Employee

Dear customers, this is Mark Buxton, the engineering director of the Intel® Media SDK and the Intel® Media Server Studio. I want to thank you for your feedback as well as your criticisms.

As Mark Liu noted in the thread above, there is no support for the Intel® Xeon® E3-1200 v6 processor family in the Intel® Media Server Studio for Linux or Windows.  Intel® Media Server Studio is our product for data center and cloud developers https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio

The primary reasons we are not providing support for Intel® Xeon® E3-1200 v6 is because:

• Intel® Xeon® E3-1500 v5 (featuring Intel® Iris Pro graphics) delivers better performance for intensive media or graphics workloads
  • Intel® Xeon® E3-1200 v6 does not deliver significant visual quality improvements

Therefore, we recommend developers building graphics or media-intensive server applications stay with Intel® Xeon® E3 v5.

Intel® Xeon® E3-1200 v6 delivers the right mix of performance and capabilities for markets including entry workstation and entry server.

We continue development work for Intel® Media Server Studio for improved performance and video quality. 

Developers targeting Windows and 7th Gen Intel® Core™ Processors for client and desktop applications can use the latest Intel® Media SDK for Windows: https://software.intel.com/en-us/media-sdk . Another option for Linux developers is to leverage VA API from the Intel open source Linux drivers on 01.org: https://01.org/linuxgraphics.

We appreciate your feedback and are carefully considering your input for planning our upcoming software releases.  Please continue to share your feature requirements either via this forum or PM to Mark Liu.   

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
34 Replies
Adrien1
Beginner

Hi,

I have tried recently and Media Server Studio for Linux 2017R2 does not seem to work on Kaby Lake. I'll be interested to know when this will be supported as well. I hope it won't take as long as Skylake support took...

Thanks

0 Kudos
marwan_y_
Beginner

I've the same issue! When Media Server Studio for Linux will support Kaby Lake?

Why get a high-end hardware if it has no support?!

0 Kudos
RLinc
Beginner

Same issue..., using the CentSO 'golden' image for the Intel CC Suite for WebRTC.

I have a 7700k processor and I cannot get the media sdk/hardware interface via vaapi to load.

Do you think it has something to do with the 'Intel Stable Image Platform Program (SIPP)' support?

http://ark.intel.com/compare/97128,97129,97122

I might try the 7700T processor to see if this works.

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Guys,

I can confirm the Media Server Studio doesn't support the Kaby Lake and this also includes the E3 v6 processor that released recently.

The problem is the driver layer doesn't have the update for Kaby Lake and there is no plan to support it yet.

Please add some feedback so I can tell the dev team for the future product.

Mark Liu

0 Kudos
RLinc
Beginner

Mark,

Our primary objective is Kaby Lake driver support of the 'golden' CentOS platform. I'm looking to deploy the Intel Collaboration Suite for WebRTC onto Kaby Lake 7700K hardware for obvious reasons. In an ideal world, the following documentation could than be updated:

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/media_server_studio_getting_started_guide.pdf

https://software.intel.com/en-us/documentation/webrtc-conference-server-guide/mcu-installation

To add commercial weight to the request, we plan to roll out a clustered Intel WebRTC solution using Kaby Lake processors.

Please keep us updated on the development roadmap for Kaby/Linux support, we'll watch this space...

Thank you for your continued support Mark.

0 Kudos
david123456
Beginner

Hi Mark,

As 7th Core and 2xx motherboard are more popular, we wish MSS 2017R3 supports Kabylake.

Best Regards,

David

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late response, I have confirmed the MSS 2017R3 will not support Kabylake. The reason is the Media Server Studio is a server product, it is not necessary to support the Kabelake—a desktop processor.

Could you give me some feedback why you need Kabylake support? What kind of features are you looking for?

I am asking because we just have a new product release--The Media SDK for Embedded Linux which is the other product running on Linux. This is good for customer from the desktop or embedded industry since they have more products to request the new features.

Mark Liu

0 Kudos
MSaue
Beginner

We currently run skylake consumer cpus in our servers. We were looking up upgrade, so were wondering when we could get support. If the Embedded Linux product supports kaby lake, and has similar functionality, we could look into using that SDK.

0 Kudos
david123456
Beginner

Hi Mark,

I saw that msdk for embeded linux only support embeded cpu such as n3350, n4200, e39xx. Could you show me how to use it in kabylake?

Best regards

David

0 Kudos
Adamanov_V_
Beginner
Hi, David We planned use in the same scheme as the i5 6500 with iris 530 for transcoding live streams from mpeg2 to h264.
0 Kudos
Vasiliy_P_
Beginner

Liu, Yan wrote:

I have confirmed the MSS 2017R3 will not support Kabylake. The reason is the Media Server Studio is a server product, it is not necessary to support the Kabelake—a desktop processor.

This phrase is very strange for me, because Haswell, Skylake are also desktop processors, not server, but fully support by MSS and I successfully use it. Also I want to use Media SDK with Kaby Lake processor i7 7700k. Or I don't understand something?....

0 Kudos
Vasiliy_P_
Beginner

any news related to MSS on Kaby Lake?

0 Kudos
Alexey_P_
Beginner

Intel Xeon E3-1275v5 CPUs are widely used for decoding/encoding/transcoding video, using QuickSync technology.

Intel Media Server Studio usualy needed for this. It is very unusual that these applications that works great on Xeon E3-1275v5 CPU can't be executed anyway on Xeon E3-1275v6 CPU. 
Examples of these application:
1. Encoding/transcoding video using ffmpeg with QuickSync. It require Intel Media Server Studio.
2. Transcoding live video using Wowza Streaming Engine with QuickSync acceleration. It also require Intel Media Server Studio.
Both applications works great on Xeon E3-1275v5 CPU, but doesn't work on Xeon E3-1275v6 CPU.

Please, add Kaby Lake support (Xeon E3-1275v6) to the next release of Intel Media Server Studio. This is very necessary functionality.
Thank you.

Liu, Yan wrote:

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 19.5px 0.0px; line-height: 15.0px; font: 13.0px Arial; color: #53575e; -webkit-text-stroke: #53575e}
span.s1 {font-kerning: none}

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late response, I have confirmed the MSS 2017R3 will not support Kabylake. The reason is the Media Server Studio is a server product, it is not necessary to support the Kabelake—a desktop processor.

Could you give me some feedback why you need Kabylake support? What kind of features are you looking for?

I am asking because we just have a new product release--The Media SDK for Embedded Linux which is the other product running on Linux. This is good for customer from the desktop or embedded industry since they have more products to request the new features.

Mark Liu

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

No news, just some details on the KabyLake support:
In general, the GPU core of the KabyLake brings no performance or visual quality improvements over the GPU core of the SkyLake. Although I understood that the most people concerns about the HEVC encoder and decoder, we have decided to only add the HEVC while not improving the other features on the KabyLake.

The Media Server Studio goes with the server platform, so it doesn't support the KabyLake. I think it is not a perfect answer, it is what we decided.

We are now proposing the software HEVC solution from Beamr, Ittiam for the server platform.

Mark

0 Kudos
MSchm21
Valued Contributor I

Intel launched Kabylake Server Xeon months ago!

http://www.anandtech.com/show/11232/intel-launches-xeon-e3-1200-v6-family

You are talking like these CPUs don't exist.

0 Kudos
Vasiliy_P_
Beginner

yes, what about Server Xeon Kaby Lake?

Why we didn't have the information about no supporting Kaby Lake before starting selling theese CPUs? Now I and many other people spent money and bought it and waited for new release of MSS to use Quick Sync on linux and what have we do now?

0 Kudos
Viorel_D_
Beginner

I'm not sure I understand what's going on here ... are only the Kaby Lake *DESKTOP* CPUs not supported ? Because it seems to me that the Xeon E3 v6 family is not supported either. I'm on centos 7.2 with the latest SDK and it doesn't work (device ID is 8086:591d).

I have to say that's a little dissapointing

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Sorry guys for the confusion, I think the root cause is, we decide not support KBL on the server platform because the media feature we have in the graphic core doesn't satisfy the customer needs. For those who already upgrade to KabyLake for the media upgrade on the server platform, it is unfortunate that we should communicate earlier; for the people plan to use HEVC encoder, we suggested to use the software solution from Beamr and Ittiam.

The information I got is: No Media SDK/Media Server Studio update for E3v6(KabyLake), this includes both Windows and Linux.

Mark

0 Kudos
spyer_s_
Beginner

Hi,

I am going to buy AMD in the future, because I am at least not ripped.

0 Kudos
david123456
Beginner
Hi Mark, Does intel stop msdk development or only skip KBL as its hevc codec performance is not very well? Best Regards David
0 Kudos