Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Linux version of libmfxswXX library

Dmitry_R_1
Beginner

Where can I find Linux version of libmfxswXX library with software H.264 encoder enabled?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Dmitry,

Which version are you using?

If you installed the release version, you should find it under /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64; if you built and installed open source Media SDK, you will not have the software version.

Mark

0 Kudos
Dmitry_R_1
Beginner

Hello Mark,

Archive MediaServerStudioProfessional2018R2.tar.gz contans SDK2018Production16.9.tar.gz, which contains intel-linux-media-generic-16.9-00005.tar.gz

Inside /opt/intel/mediasdk/lib64 only hardware version, but not software:

libmfxhw64-p.so.1.27

The similar file is in Centos package (intel-linux-media-16.9-00005.el7.centos.x86_64.rpm)

I cannot find libmfxsw.

0 Kudos
Dmitry_R_1
Beginner

Does anyone tell me whether Media SDK support encoding on Linux on Intel processors without GPU? I cannot find any official information about it.

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Dmitry,

In Media SDK, we support software codec as the fallback mode, meaning if the hardware path doesn't work temporarily, application can switch to software mode to keep the user experience smooth.

If you are using Xeon platform, you can check our software codec called SVT: https://01.org/svt

Hope this helps.

Mark

0 Kudos
Dmitry_R_1
Beginner

Liu, Mark (Intel) wrote:

Hi Dmitry,

In Media SDK, we support software codec as the fallback mode, meaning if the hardware path doesn't work temporarily, application can switch to software mode to keep the user experience smooth.

If you are using Xeon platform, you can check our software codec called SVT: https://01.org/svt

Hope this helps.

Mark

Hello Mark and thank you for response. We will be glad to use SVT, but currently it does not support H.264. We are planning to use it when we start to use more advanced codecs.

Concerning Media SDK under Linux here is a cut from readme-dispatcher-linux.pdf:

Search the default SDK implementations in the default system paths or path addressed by LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable by first searching for platform-specific one (libmfxhw64.so) and then software (libmfxsw64.so).

Unfortunately I cannot find libmfxsw64.so itself so I asking where can I find it if it does not exist in MediaServerStudioProfessional2018R2.tar.gz/SDK2018Production16.9.tar.gz

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Ok, let me check multiple version and get back to you.

Mark

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Yes, I confirmed we have remove libmfxsw64.so from the release package from 2018 R2. But it is still available in 2018 R1.

So it should be MediaServerStudioProfessional2018R1.tar.gz/SDK2018Production16.8.tar.gz

Mark

0 Kudos
Dmitry_R_1
Beginner

Thank you Mark, I've found the required library.

You said "we have remove libmfxsw64.so from the release package from 2018 R2". If this was intentional what is the future for this library and will it be available in next releases? Is there any official Intel announcement concerning H.264 software implementation - will it be deprecated or moved into another software product?

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Dmitry,

Sorry for the late response and thanks for good reminder.

I have asked your question to dev team and I am waiting for their response now, I will keep you updated.

Mark

0 Kudos