Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED error on QueryIOSurf call.... (Win10)

Steven_Q_
Beginner

We have an existing application that leverages the SDK for H.264 decoding.  After a recent driver update (20.19.15.4444) we started to get MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED on our call to QueryIOSurf.  If we run with MFX_IMPL_AUTO, we don't get the error, but also don't get hardware enhanced decode.  If we specify any hardware option, we get this MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED.  We are decoding to system memory.  One note of interest, the system in question is running Windows 10 and we don't have any monitors connected to the Intel GPU.  This had not been a problem with earlier driver releases.  If we have any monitor connected to the GPU, things work as they should.  I thought this was no longer required on Windows 10?

Please advise.

Steve

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Steven, 

Can you please share a log from system analyzer tool and more information on the application you are using including a reproducer of the application will help us investigate this behavior. You can also refer to our sample_decode for repro : https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/samples. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Steven, 

Can you try sample_decode from our sample package and tell if you still get the error. Send us the cmd line so we can reproduce at our end. 
Are you using d3d9 or d3d11 implementation? With d3d9, it is mandatory for the GPU to be connected to a monitor to run. In any case, please provide your environment details like HW, graphic device, cmd line and Media SDK version. Does the environment have multiple graphics device?

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
Steven_Q_
Beginner

The application works correctly when the Intel desktop is active, so running in that mode won't provide any new data.  I have updated to the .4462 beta driver, same behavior.

I am running both an NVidia and Intel GPU.  I need both, the Intel to accelerate H.264 decode, and the NVidia to drive an Oculus Rift.

When I run the mediasdk_sys_analyzer on the system, it crashes when checking for installed media SDK packages.  Here is the partial result.

Intel Media SDK System Analyzer (64 bit)

The following versions of Media SDK API are supported by platform/driver:

-->

Version    Target    Supported    Dec    Enc
    1.0    HW    No              
    1.0    SW    Yes        X    X
    1.1    HW    No              
    1.1    SW    Yes        X    X
    1.3    HW    No              
    1.3    SW    Yes        X    X
    1.4    HW    No              
    1.4    SW    Yes        X    X
    1.5    HW    No              
    1.5    SW    Yes        X    X
    1.6    HW    No              
    1.6    SW    Yes        X    X
    1.7    HW    No              
    1.7    SW    Yes        X    X
    1.8    HW    No              
    1.8    SW    Yes        X    X

Graphics Devices:
    Name                                         Version             State
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980                       10.18.13.6881       Active
    Intel(R) HD Graphics 530                     20.19.15.4463       08

System info:
    CPU:    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Arch:    64-bit

Installed Media SDK packages (be patient...processing takes some time):

-->

When I run the sample_decode sample application (from the 6.0.0.68 samples), I get the same response on it's QueryIOSurf call without a desktop connected.  It works fine with the desktop connected.

I was able to achieve partial acceleration with older Intel HD drivers using the same samples.

Steve

0 Kudos
Steven_Q_
Beginner

Some additional detail with various driver versions (all with no Intel desktop connected).  Looks like this was initially broken between 4352 (worked) and 4380 (did not work).

20.19.15.4326 (11/18/2015), Got the partial acceleration response from the QueryIOSurf call, but saw very low CPU use during decode (hardware acceleration worked well).

20.19.15.4352 (12/15/2015),  Same as 4326.

20.19.15.4380 (2/2/2016),  QueryIOSurf call works (warning partial accel), but I get an unsupported response to the Init call on the decoder instead.

20.29.15.4404 (3/3/2016), same as 4380

20.19.15.4424 (3/31/2016), same as 4404

20.19.15.4463 (5/25/2016), Get the unsupported response to the QueryIOSurf call.

Steve

0 Kudos