Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

MFXInit fails with -9 MFX_ERR_NOT_FOUND

David_X
Beginner
hi~

I have seen a couple of related threads, where specific sample or API failed to work ;
when I use Msdk to do hardware decoding, some times it work success ,but some case it work wrong,the same code and running in the same computer.(I do the five streaming decodings in the same time ,and the init failed in the no.4 streaming )

mfxStatus nStatus = MFXInit(MFX_IMPL_AUTO_ANY, &Version, &Session);

the return value nStatu=-9; MFX_ERR_NOT_FOUND

I don't know in wich conditons  the function MFXInit return -9??

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

Can you share the logs from System analyzer in <mediaSDk>\tools\analyzer. Also, check if you have update to drivers installed from https://downloadcenter.intel.com. Also which sample, API are you using? 

the return value nStatu=-9; MFX_ERR_NOT_FOUND -> MSDK query returns -9;MFX_ERR_NOT_FOUND, when it cannot detect the graphics device. In this case are using a 3rd party graphics device? you are not running a HW implementation but a SW codec implementation fallback. Please refer to MediaSDk manual for more details on the error status -9;MFX_ERR_NOT_FOUND.

Can provide more details to help us understand the issue and your environment setup.

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
David_X
Beginner

Hi,Harsh~

I have update  my drivers to the newly Version ,from the website you just give. 

Implementation: HARDWARE ,Version: 1.11 ,the result was given by the mediasdk-tutorials  "simple_session.exe".

The logs from System analyzer in <mediaSDk>\tools\analyzer. Also added  in the attachment down below.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INFO :DeviceID conflict, actual = 0x166 : required = 0x162

INFO :found subkey: iIVB_0166
INFO :opened key: iIVB_0166
INFO :loaded VendorID : 0x8086
INFO :loaded DeviceID : 0x166
INFO :loaded Merit : 134217749
INFO :merit conflict: lastMerit = 0x8000015, requiredMerit = 0x8000015, libraryMerit = 0x0, lastindex = 17, index = 17
INFO :found subkey: iIVB_016A
INFO :opened key: iIVB_016A
INFO :loaded DeviceID : 0x16a
INFO :DeviceID conflict, actual = 0x166 : required = 0x16a
INFO :found subkey: iVLV2_0F31
INFO :opened key: iVLV2_0F31
INFO :loaded DeviceID : 0xf31
INFO :DeviceID conflict, actual = 0x166 : required = 0xf31
INFO :[WINREG]: EnumKey with index=20: RegEnumKeyExW()==0x103
INFO :no more subkeys : RegEnumKeyExA()==0x0
INFO :loading library D:\App\bin\Debug\libmfxsw32.dll
INFO :invoking LoadLibrary(D:\App\bin\Debug\libmfxsw32.dll)
INFO :can't find DLL: GetLastErr()=0x7e
INFO :loading default library libmfxhw32.dll
INFO :invoking LoadLibrary(libmfxhw32.dll)
INFO :loaded module C:\Program Files\Intel\Media SDK\libmfxhw32.dll
INFO :MFXInit(MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE|MFX_IMPL_VIA_D3D9,ver=1.1,session=0xAADCA538)
INFO :library can't be load. MFXInit returned MFX_ERR_UNKNOWN 
SDK DLL File Version=
SDK DLL Product Version=
SDK DLL File Size=-505694016
MFXInit.impl=HARDWARE|VIA_D3D9
MFXInit.ver=1.1
MFXInit.status=MFX_ERR_NOT_FOUND

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks, 

David 

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

I see from the log that you are using a old version of API. Can you update it to new version of the API 1.13, software.intel.com/en-us/media-client-solutions-support/code-samples. The above attached log is a tracer, System analyzer log can be attached by <mediaSDk>\tools\system_analyzer.

Please refer to MSDK manual on complete details about return value nStatu=-9; MFX_ERR_NOT_FOUND, this means the Graphics device for HW decoding was not found during the initialization in consecutive loops. 

SDK DLL File Version=
SDK DLL Product Version=
SDK DLL File Size=-505694016
MFXInit.impl=HARDWARE|VIA_D3D9
MFXInit.ver=1.1
MFXInit.status=MFX_ERR_NOT_FOUND

Dispatcher is not able to find the required HW device. Any chance you have 3rd party graphics card (Nvidia/AMD)? 

Thanks,

0 Kudos