Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

MFXInit() returns MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED on Apollo Lake

MacDonald__Seoras

Hi,
We have an application running on Apollo lake that uses MSDK. We have the application working on a different platform, but the version we've built for Apollo Lake MR3.1 on yocto fails when calling MFXInit().

mfxVersion ver = {{0,1}};
mfxIMPL impl = MFX_IMPL_AUTO_ANY;
pMFXSession = new MFXVideoSession();
// We call: (Which in turn calls MFXInit(impl, &ver, &m_session))
pMFXSession->Init(impl, &ver);
// And it returns 3, MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED

Looking at the documentation, MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED should only be returned if either `impl` or `ver` are invalid.
`ver` should be valid for any 1.x version of MSDK
We have the MR3.1 release of MSDK for Apollo Lake with recipe "msdk_16.7.bb". I assume this recipe version is either unrelated to the msdk version, or it means we have version 1.16.7?
`impl` should be valid if we have any available implementation. We have libmfxsw64.so and libmfxhw64.so both in /usr/lib/ and in the same directory as the app.

It seems pretty opaque to me, what could be causing the error. We are passing the same, sensible seeming (at least to me) arguments as the version we have working on a different platform, but on Apollo Lake we get an error. I suspect it's trying to find some library and failing, but which library?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Seoras,

Sorry for the late response, I was in the other project with heavy tasks. So I didn't monitor the forum very well. My apologies.

It looks like you are running on Yocto, I suggest you to check the MSDK installation by running our sample code in the platform.

Mark

0 Kudos
MacDonald__Seoras

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the response. We've got the App working now after switching to the MR4-Beta yocto layers for Apollo Lake, and the MR4-Beta release of MSDK. We still get the error on one of our boards with an old modified UEFI, but we can just update that and it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks,
Seoras

0 Kudos