Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

MFXInit

funewgor_L_
Beginner

Within multiple threads call MFXInit in parallel, the CPU usage will rise sharply. This may be a BUG. Can anyone tell me how to circumvent this problem.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

Multiple threads call MFXInit in parallel, the CPU usage will rise sharply -> Can you provide us logs from System analyzer. Does your workload by any chance include encode/decoding/transcode a 4K video content? Then yes, CPU usage is more as its a SW codec implementation(Performance impact). Please provide us more details to understand the issue with detailed description. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
funewgor_L_
Beginner

Harsh Jain (Intel) wrote:

Hi,

Multiple threads call MFXInit in parallel, the CPU usage will rise sharply -> Can you provide us logs from System analyzer. Does your workload by any chance include encode/decoding/transcode a 4K video content? Then yes, CPU usage is more as its a SW codec implementation(Performance impact). Please provide us more details to understand the issue with detailed description. 

Thanks,

Thanks for your reply on this issue.

And here is some more information.

1. The first parameter of MFXInit is MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE_ANY, that i want use hardware decoding.

2.The Display Adatpter is Graphics 4600 and the driver version is 10.18.10.3960.

3.MFXInit takes almost 1 second if invoked solely in operate-system.When I update the driver to 10.8.14.4156, the time will be 600 milliseconds. Other computer, CPU is i5-3470, the time is 80 millseconds.

4.Intel Media SDK 2014, 2015, both have this problem.

thanks.

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

So, if I understand correctly, when you use MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE_ANY with driver version 10.18.10.3960 installed. You are not seeing any issues with initialization time. Is that correct? Can you attach the System analyzer log along with snapshot of the time taken. System analyzer is at <mediaSDK>/tools/analyzer.Also send us the snapshot of initialization time when driver version 4156 is installed.

So, are you using a  3rd party graphics card (Nvidia/AMD?) along with Intel graphics device? Can you send me a private message with all the attachments and complete explanation your environment setup and issue. 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Altug_S_
Beginner

Having the same issue.

Test hardware: Intel Core i7-3770K CPU with Media SDK 1.11.

I am compiling my application with INDE 2015.

1 decoder, MFXInit() takes 245 msec to complete, no considerable CPU load.

24 concurrent decoders, each and every one of them calls MFXInit() neary the same time, from their own threads.

CPU load rises to 100% on all cores, stays there and it takes 20-25 seconds for all decoders to complete their MFXInit() calls.

Any ideas why?

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

Can you please provide us analyser log (<mediasdk>/tools/analyzer). As, during MFXInit() call, the function will search for the platform-specific SDK implementation.But, if the function cannot find it, it will use the software implementation (CPU based). It is recommended to specify the minimum API version in production applications that meets their functional requirements. But 100% CPU usage definately need investigation. 

we have latest driver here. Please update to latest drivers and let us know if you still see the issue. Do you see the same issue when you run 4th gen above processor? If so  can you please send us more details (your application for repro, OS/platform, command line used) - as we do not expect such behavior.

Thanks,

0 Kudos