Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

MFXQueryVersion issue

Anton_Z_
Beginner

Hello.

Source code example in the

Intel_Media_Developers_Guide.pdf, 4.3.5 Query version and implementation

contains two insignificant syntax errors (Maybe its already corrected in the latest releases of sdk).

But the real confusion is it reports wrong version on the different hardware. On some CPU i get strange API version numbers after MFXQueryVersion even with MFX_ERR_NONE status is returned. I use MFXQueryVersion to detect highest supported API level and later try to initialize session using  this versions, As a result MFXInit fails. I wondering whats wrong?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Anton,

Thank you for your question. Currently the highest API level is 1.10, which is being used by developers for the development and is not supported yet. In general it would be good to use the lowest version possible depending upon the functionality you need. Version 1.9 is the highest version which can be used today.
Regarding the wrong version being reported on different hardware- 
When you print the version, it prints the highest version(which is available), not what we is being currently used in the program. It is kind of check that tells us the highest available API version. I hope i have got you right, but feel free to let us know if the issue is different. 

Thanks,
-Surbhi

0 Kudos
Anton_Z_
Beginner

Hi. Still confused a little bit. When you say "which is available" does this mean "can be supported on some hardware" or "this SHOULD work on this cpu which i am running"?

BTW, if MFXQuery does not return the highest API level "supported on this cpu" how can i find the highest supported level? Calling MFXInit increasing the version numbers (and clean up ofcourse) and stop when fail?

WBR

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Anton,

The highest version which is available by Media SDK, not necessarily that it will run on your HW.
To check the capabilities on your HW, Check the mediasdk_sys_analyzer which can be found in <downloaded folder>\tools\mediasdk_sys_analyzer. You can a readme document in that folder giving a basic overview about that tool. This should tell you the API version which are supported by your HW and SW.

Thanks,
-Surbhi

0 Kudos
Anton_Z_
Beginner

Thank you for clarification.

0 Kudos