Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

MFXVideoENC_Query() always returns MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED

Stefan_S_2
Beginner

Dear support,

I'm trying to use the MFXVideoENC_Query function to determine the maximum possible target bitrate for different video resolutions. Unfortunately, the function always returns MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED no matter what structures or attributes I feed in (I tried mode 1. and mode 2.).
Plattform is Intel i3-4330 / HD 6400 / Win10 x64 / MediaSDK 2016 / H.264 HW encode / API Version 1.20 / GPU driver version June 9th 2017.
The actual encoding works properly. 

As I understand from the Reference Manual the CodecId attribute (MFX_CODEC_AVC) is the only one must have parameter in the mfxVideoParam structure in order to receive a valid result. Can you advise how to get the MFXVideoENC_Query function to work as expected ?

Thank you,
Stefan.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Stefan, 

You're using wrong function. MFXVideoENC_Query is a member of MFXVideoENC class that performs the first step of encoding process – motion estimation, intraprediction and mode decision. Most probably you need to use MFXVideoENCODE_Query from MFXVideoENCODE
class that performs the entire encoding pipeline from the input video frames to the output bitstream instead.

Best wishes, 

Anna 

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Stefan, 

You're using wrong function. MFXVideoENC_Query is a member of MFXVideoENC class that performs the first step of encoding process – motion estimation, intraprediction and mode decision. Most probably you need to use MFXVideoENCODE_Query from MFXVideoENCODE
class that performs the entire encoding pipeline from the input video frames to the output bitstream instead.

Best wishes, 

Anna 

0 Kudos
Stefan_S_2
Beginner

Hi Anna,

using MFXVideoENCODE_Query() instead of MFXVideoENC_Query() solved it. This was a tough one, especially since both functions are using identical parameters.

Anyway, thanks for your help,
Stefan.

0 Kudos