Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3056 Discussions

MFXVideoSession cannot be initialized in MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE

jigong
Beginner
Hi,
I used to decode H264 stream inMFX_IMPL_HARDWARE mode on Intel Core i-7 2700K. Today I replaced CPU with Intel Core i5-2500K and i3-2125, I met the same problems: MFXVideoSession.init(MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE, ver) return -3, which mean I cannot decode in hw. I tried software implementation. They worked.
Thank for any advice?
Jiuxiang
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Nina_K_Intel
Employee
Hi Jiuxuang,
what value is "ver" assigned to? The platforms you mention have MSDK libraries with API 1.1, so they will support ver equal or less than 1.1.
Regards,
Nina
0 Kudos
jigong
Beginner
Hi Nina,
ver = {0,1}.
Thanks.
Jiuxiang
0 Kudos
jigong
Beginner
I replaced I7-2700k again. MFXVideoSession can be initialized in HW implementation.
0 Kudos
Eric_S_Intel
Employee

The Media SDK hardware loading mechanism uses the DeviceID key of HKLM\Software\Intel\MediaSDK\Dispatch.

When you switch the CPU, you switch the device ID and cause a mismatch. Try switching the CPU back to the Core i3 or Core I5, and then re-installing the graphics driver. This will cause the DeviceID key to be updated.

Let me know if this helps

-Eric

0 Kudos
jigong
Beginner
Fixed the problem once reinstall graphics driver (Intel graphics driver center).
Thanks
0 Kudos