Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

MJPEG Encoder

venky999
Beginner
Hi Guys,

Is there any reason for not supporting JPEG/MJEPG Encoder in Intel Media SDK 2012

Please let me know your thoughts.

Kind Regards,
Venki
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi Venki,

I certainly understand the viewpoint of a developer that would like to see a wider range of codecs and capabilities supported. However, the SDK product is defined based on common use cases identified for current and next generation platforms. One of those use cases are video conferencing where MJPEG decode plays an important role, and was therefore made part of the SDK. MJPEG encode usage is less frequent due to the fact that the capability is commonly embedded in the camera device.

The other fundamental aspect that determine Media SDK codec support is HW acceleration. The intent is for the SDK to provide HW acceleration for all SDKcodecs on recent Intel platforms, with fallback on SW codec on older Intel platforms and any other non Intel platforms. Note that MJPEG decode is the only SDK codec that currently (2012 platform baseline) does not support HW acceleration, this gap is likely to be closed future Intel platform/SDK.

Regards,
Petter

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi Venki,

I certainly understand the viewpoint of a developer that would like to see a wider range of codecs and capabilities supported. However, the SDK product is defined based on common use cases identified for current and next generation platforms. One of those use cases are video conferencing where MJPEG decode plays an important role, and was therefore made part of the SDK. MJPEG encode usage is less frequent due to the fact that the capability is commonly embedded in the camera device.

The other fundamental aspect that determine Media SDK codec support is HW acceleration. The intent is for the SDK to provide HW acceleration for all SDKcodecs on recent Intel platforms, with fallback on SW codec on older Intel platforms and any other non Intel platforms. Note that MJPEG decode is the only SDK codec that currently (2012 platform baseline) does not support HW acceleration, this gap is likely to be closed future Intel platform/SDK.

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
venky999
Beginner
HiPetter,
Thank you so much for the answer.It is much clear for me now.
I have one more question.
Can we use Intel Media SDK with NVIDIA Graphics card?
If so ,Can we use hardware acceleratedencoding and decoding forH.264 AVC and MVC or Mpeg-2 (assuming that we are using Sandy Bridge with NVIDIA Graphics and has no intel graphics).
Kind Regards,
Venki
0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee
Hi Venki,

regarding use of Media SDK on systems having discrete graphics. This topic has been discussed in several other posts on this forum such as:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showpost.php?p=171658
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=86355&o=a&s=lr

Please also refer to the Media SDK manual appendix for further details.

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
venky999
Beginner
Thank you Petter.
Kind Regards,
Venki
0 Kudos