Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

MP3 Audio encoding using Intel Media SDK

Matthew_H_1
Beginner

I am interested in using the Intel Media SDK to do encoding of raw Audio files to mp3 (mpeg-2 layer 3). I can't find anything to indicate that this is possible with the Intel Media SDK.

I've seen the Intel Media SDK Audio Library mentioned in several places, but can't find the link to download this, and it mentions that mp3 encoding is not supported, so I think that this is not what I'm looking for.

Can someone confirm that this is indeed possible, and whether or not this is the intended use of the Intel Media SDK?

Thanks!

Matt

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi Matthew,

Thanks for your question. The latest release on MSDK, called Media Server Studio (MSS) (https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio) has the Audio pack installed in the package. This package is not free, although you can download the trial version to check out some Audio features. Also note that this package works on Linux, and currently this audio feature is software-only and the hardware support is for future release.

For basic audio support (mux-demux), you can look at the full transcoding sample that uses ffmpeg for mux-demux.

0 Kudos
Matthew_H_1
Beginner

Thanks for the reply, I have some follow up questions.

We are currently using the Intel IPP library to do mp3 encoding, but we were told that Intel is no longer actively developing IPP, so we were wondering what the next step is. Is there a new Intel product that can achieve highly optimized MP3 encoding?

Thanks, Matt

0 Kudos
Matthew_H_1
Beginner

To add to my followup question,

I have just realized that Intel IPP (now on version 8.2) has deprecated MP3 encoding in version 7.1 (https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/summary-of-functions-deprecated-in-intel-ipp-71). Does this mean that Intel has some other way to do MP3 encoding? If so, what is it?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel
Hi Matthew, In our current distribution of Intel Media Server Studio 2015, we support full codec implementation for AAC, and only decode feature for MPEG audio. Having said that, there are a number of open source implementations that provide MP3 encode - hopefully that should suffice your requirement. If you have any other question, please let us know. Thanks. Sravanthi
0 Kudos