Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

MSDK H264 decode and playing delay four seconds on x11

duncanchou
New Contributor I

Hello Sir,

Could you help us to improve the playing  delay issue.

We found the MSDK playing delay caused by kept four h264 packages and then decode and playing on x11,  

if video stream fps = 1 from RTSP, the  MSDK playing delay at least four seconds 

At pipelinedecode.cpp at #1899

mfxStatus CDecodingPipeline::RunDecoding()

The sts = m_pmfxDEC->DecodeFrameAsync always return -10 in first four streams,

Thanks

Michael Wu 

1.png

/mnt/nfsshare/atom_rebuild/msdk_ori/build$ __bin/release/sample_decode h264 -hw -gpucopy::on -f 1 -rgb4 -vaapi -async 1 -window 50 100 1820 980 -i test_ch14_20.h264 -calc_latency -r  

michaelwu@michaelwu-Broxton-P:/mnt/nfsshare/atom_rebuild/msdk_ori/build$ __bin/release/sample_decode h264 -hw -gpucopy::on -f 1 -rgb4 -vaapi -async 1 -window 50 100 1820 980 -i test_ch14_20.h264 -calc_latency -r
libva info: VA-API version 1.8.0
libva info: User environment variable requested driver 'iHD'
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_8
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
Decoding Sample Version 8.4.27.0

Input video AVC
Output format RGB4 (using vpp)
Input:
Resolution 1920x1088
Crop X,Y,W,H 0,0,1920,1080
Output:
Resolution 1820x980
Frame rate 1.00
Memory type vaapi
MediaSDK impl hw
MediaSDK version 1.34

Decoding started
After DecodeFrameAsync= -10, if -10, need more data
pBitstream->DataLength = 6843
pBitstream->DataLength = 5638
pBitstream->DataLength = 5162
pBitstream->DataLength = 4861
After DecodeFrameAsync= 0, if -10, need more data
pBitstream->DataLength = 4977
After DecodeFrameAsync= 2, if -10, need more data
After DecodeFrameAsync= 2, if -10, need more data
pBitstream->DataLength = 6186
pBitstream->DataLength = 5263
pBitstream->DataLength = 4582
pBitstream->DataLength = 4390
pBitstream->DataLength = 4287

0 Kudos
20 Replies
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for posting in Intel Community Forums.

We are checking your issue internally and will get back to you soon.

Regards,

Chithra

0 Kudos
ChithraJ_Intel

Hi Duncan,

We are forwarding this case to Subject Matter Experts and they will get back to you soon.

Regards,

Chithra

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the late response.

I think I can reproduce the issue and I can tell the reason by check your video:

• The sample video has 20 frames, its display order and decode order are completely reverse.
  • When the decode call read the bit stream, it reads the first decode frame which is the last frame being displayed, this is exactly you observed, the decoder is expecting to read more data to decode the first display frame, so it returns MFX_ERR_MORE_DATA which means continue decoding.

I can ask dev team to see if the decoder can output as decode order, but I want to check if this is your purpose.

Mark

0 Kudos
duncanchou
New Contributor I

Hello Mark,

We need display out is first frame input in MSDK and first output frame to display without latency, 

If the first frame is I-Frame of H264 Frame.    

We can not fully understand below,  could you give us some hints? 

"The sample video has 20 frames, its display order and decode order are completely reverse"

Thank you for your reply.

Michael 

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Michael,

I am just checking if your video is a normal video in your product. If this was extracted from some bugs or a test content in your product, I will submit an investigation request.

This is not a normal video, since it shows wired when you play it. And FFmpeg player also has playback errors.

My previous comment is trying to say: This video stream has a special structure that the first frame displayed is actually coming at the end of the data stream, the second frame displayed is actually coming from the second to the end of the data stream, ... etc.

For display order and encoding order, you can refer to this web page:

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Decoding-and-display-order-of-GOP-Figure-3-Encoding-and-processing-order-of-GOP_fig8_320855955

Mark

0 Kudos
duncanchou
New Contributor I

Hello Mark,

We re-configure the ipcam setup it to fps = 30, GOP = 30, and fps = 1, GOP = 1, the msdk decode and play  always queue four frames and then playback,  we hope the each frame input and display output  without any delay.    

if FPS = 1, GOP = 1, we can received I-frame per sec without any P-frame and Bi-Frame, we hope the msdk do not  need queue any frame  before playback.

if FPS = 30, GOP = 30, we can received first I-frame and P-frames following, we hope the msdk  do not  need queue any frame before playback.

The attached is our test video stream and log file (msdk and ffplay)

20210104.tar.gz/

fps_1_ffplay_20210104.log
fps_1_msdk_20210104.log
fps_30_ffplay_20210104.log
fps_30_msdk_20210104.log
test_fps_1.h264
test_fps_30.h264

Thank you for your help and reply.

Michael Wu

Thank you for your reply.

Michael Wu

0 Kudos
duncanchou
New Contributor I

Added two H264 streams analysis,

fps = 1 , GOP =1

fps_1.png

FPS = 30, GOP =30

fps_30.png

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Michael,

Thanks so much for the new video and I can tell your goal now.

The test_fps_20 has P slices and test_fps_1 has I slices only. I think your goal is to remove the delay during the live stream.

I tried your command on test_fps_30 and here is what I found:

• The original command line: the latency starts at 31ms, and accumulated to 30757ms at the end of 920 frames.
  • When I removed "-r" argument, the latency starts at 26ms and accumulated to 1000ms at the end of 920 frames.
  • When I removed "-rgb4", the latency stays at average of 8ms.
  • If I keep "-r" but remove "-gpucopy::on -f 30 -rgb4", the stream runs at 60fps but keep a latency of 67ms(1 frame)

As you can see, "-r" rendering causes a latency of 1 frame, this is understandable since Media SDK has to copy the frame to the rendering buffer.

"-rgb4" uses VPP, this also introduced a copying, this introduced another latency of 1 frame.

So could you remove "-r", "-rgb4" and see if you still have the latency?

I am not sure why the latency calculation was accumulated during my test but I believe this related to the testing algorithm.

So the latency was not introduced by decoder but the copying, if you can avoid color format converting and rendering, you should get least latency.

You can also remove "-f" to let the decoder run as fast as possible, this should align with the live streaming usage.

Mark

0 Kudos
duncanchou
New Contributor I

Hello Mark,

Thank you for your suggestion and support.

We try to remove "-gpucopy::on" "-f 30"  "-rgb4", we can get little improved. 

(PS, we can not remove "-r", we need do live view on x11 render.)

The result latency is about 132.85300 ms =>  four frames. 

The log file is in fps_30_msdk_20210105.log

We need no latency decoding , if fps =1 rtsp stream,  the latency = four frames, the delay will be 4 secs.

The attached  liveVideo.zip is live view (fps =30 and  fps = 1) video from rtsp  streams to msdk + x11 render, we will see two video captures(fps =30, fps = 1) are un-sync.      

Thanks

Michael Wu 

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Michael,

Can you share your platform info? Like processor ID and Media SDK version, etc.

I rebuild the latest MSDK release and I think I can reproduce your report as attached. My latency number is half of yours but I think this related to the hardware.

But this doesn't change my conclusion: the latency was caused by frame buffer copying from MSDK output to graphic rendering buffer. In my log file, I also did an output to a file and you can see the latency was decreased a lot. This is the other prove of my conclusion.

Let me repeat my conclusion: Media SDK uses a hardware codec in the integrated GPU of Intel processor, it has its own working frame buffer, if you want to render this frame to graphic, the copying from decoder output buffer to rendering buffer can't be avoid, this should be the latency you observed. To decrease this latency, you can remove the rendering by disable it or output to a file.

But let me do a final check with dev team, from the following document, it seems "-calc-latency" has some limitations:

https://github.com/Intel-Media-SDK/MediaSDK/blob/master/doc/samples/readme-decode_linux.md

"low_latency and –сalc_latency options should be used with H.264 streams having exactly 1 slice per frame. Preferable streams for an adequate latency estimate are generated by Conferencing Sample."

Mark

0 Kudos
duncanchou
New Contributor I

Hello Mark,

From your comment, 

"The latency was caused by frame buffer copying from MSDK output to graphic rendering buffer."

We think the GPU copy may solve this latency issue, but we setup -gpucopy::on, the latency not be improved, any  idea to do GPU copy or opencl  about  fixing  latency of  "copy MSDK output to graphic rendering buffer." 

BTW, Our Platform Information following, 

Processor ID, Intel(R) Atom(TM) Processor E3950 @ 1.60GHz

MediaSDK version 1.34

libva info: VA-API version 1.8.0

Thank for your support,

Michael Wu

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Michael,

I think "GPU copy" here means moving the bits in the GPU memory, this is out of the scope of Media SDK, we might consider for our future product but not for this product. so you can search Linux graphic if there is a method. The "gpucopy::on" in the sample has different meaning, sorry for the confusion.

Since you are using ApolloLake, you can also try our Media SDK for Embedded Linux, although it support Yacoto official, it can also be used in Ubuntu. Its rendering path is different AFAIK.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/media-sdk/choose-download/embedded-iot.html

I am still waiting for dev team's response, I will keep you updated.

Mark

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Michael,

Just an updated for dev team's response, they confirmed my conclusion and they are looking for some improvements in coming weeks.

The point is, "-vaapi" should be good enough to enable the gpu copying.

Since dev team is on vacation, we are expecting 2 weeks delay on this, I will keep you updated.

During this time, I also encourage to try the Media SDK for Embedded Linux which is using Wayland in stead of X11 for graphic engine, also optimized for ApolloLake.

Mark

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Michael,

Just a quick question, which OS were you using when you run the previous tests?

Mark

0 Kudos
duncanchou
New Contributor I

Hello Mark,

Our testing OS is following,

Linux 5.4.0-56-generic  x86_64 GNU/Linux 

18.04.1-Ubuntu 

Thanks

Michael Wu

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Thanks for the info,

I have update this information for dev team, will keep you updated on their progress.

Mark

0 Kudos
duncanchou
New Contributor I

Hello Mark,

Any updated about this issue.

Thanks

Michael Wu

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Michael,

The dev team starts investigating now and let me ask them again.

Mark Liu

0 Kudos
Dmitry_E_Intel
Employee

Hi @duncanchou ,

The stream you shared has DPB with size equal to 4 that's why you observe 4 frame latency.

Please read this post where we've explained latency reason and a way to avoid workaround it: https://community.intel.com/t5/Media-Intel-oneAPI-Video/h-264-decoder-gives-two-frames-latency-while-decoding-a-stream/m-p/1099706#M10087 

Regards,

Dmitry

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi Michael,

Sorry for the late response to your issue.

Dmitry had a good catch about Decoded Picture Buffer, if this is greater than 1, the camera will send the frame in several packet which cause the delay. It should be in the bitstream of your camera, if you can't change this, you can set DataFlag of mfxBitstream to MFX_BITSTREAM_COMPLETE_FRAME.

Let me know if you are still working on this issue, if not, I will close the case.

Mark

0 Kudos