Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Macro-blocks artefacts when enconding H264 stream

Daniel_E-B
Beginner

Hi,

I'm using the Media SDK to encode an H.264 stream and when i play the encoded file I see some unusual macroblocks artefacts in certain frames.

This only happens when I encode with a large number of B-frames compaired to the GOP size.

I've attached a GOP presenting the problem (starting from frame 11 in stream order ) as well as the logs using the media SDK tracer.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Daniel,

can you please also share the details about your system configuration, such as your graphics driver version and type of Processor.

Regards,
Petter

0 Kudos
Daniel_E-B
Beginner

Hi Petter,

Here is the log from sys_analyzer containing the informations you requested.

Graphics Devices:
        Name                                         Version             State
        Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600                    9.18.10.3165        Active

System info:
        CPU:    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
        Arch:   64-bit

Thanks,

0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for sharing your system configuration.

Could you please try using the latest available graphics driver from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx   . The most recent driver for your system has the version number 3345.  Let us know if the you see the same issues using this driver?

In the meantime I will also ask codec developer about the macroblock behavior around frame 11 to see if this is expected with that configuration.

Regards,
Petter

0 Kudos
Daniel_E-B
Beginner

Hi Petter,

I updated my drivers to the latest version and it seems to the fix my original bug but now i have another issue.

With the 3345 drivers update i have an unusual hi CPU usage, even when i don't do anything on the machine. I have an 8 cores system and one of those cores goes up to more than 80% usage, by doing nothing!

After investigation i found out that it was due to the latest update. With the 3257 drivers i don't have this problem.

Any idea on what could be the cause? Performance is essential for us, which makes the behavior of the 3345 version kind of disturbing.

Thanks!

Daniel

0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Note: Related to the following forum post: http://software.intel.com/comment/1775146#comment-1775146

0 Kudos