Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Many threads

sharpeye
Beginner
For each session Media SDK creates additional threads (4 in my case).
The decoding of 3 streams leads to the creation of the 12 additional threads.
Is it possible to avoid creating unnecessary threads?
Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
IDZ_A_Intel
Employee
Hi sharpeye,

There is no way of controlling the number of internal threads allocated per session.

The number of threads used per session depends on the number of logical cores your platform has. Media SDK will allocate one thread per logical core (per session).

Do you have any specific reason for wanting to decrease the number of active threads in your workload?

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
sharpeye
Beginner
Hi Petter,

Then I start 8 threads of the decompression, Media SKD start 32 threads addition. Many of them is innactive. I think 4 threads (one thread per logical core) is enough for all joined sessions in the application.

Regards,
sharpeye
0 Kudos
sharpeye
Beginner
Hi Petter,

Then I start 8 threads of the decompression, Media SKD start 32 threads addition. Many of them is innactive. I think 4 threads (one thread per logical core) is enough for all joined sessions in the application.

Regards,
sharpeye
0 Kudos
IDZ_A_Intel
Employee
Hi sharpeye,

In the case you Join the sessions the threads from the sessions that were joined with the main session will be idle and will not impact performance. These threads cannot be removed since we have to support the Disjoin operation.

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos