Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3056 Discussions

Media SDK 2015 R2 does not work on Ubuntu 14.04/12.04

Alexander_D_2
Beginner

Hi all,

I have installed Media SDK 2015 R2 (Production) both on Ubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 14.04 with kernel 3.2.0-41-generic. I try to run sample `sample_decode_drm`:

./sample_decode_drm h264 -i data.h264 -o out.yuv -hw

but it fails with next error:

libva info: VA-API version 0.34.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/iHD_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_0_32
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0

Return on error: error code -3,	/home/msdk/mdp_msdk-samples/samples/sample_decode/src/pipeline_decode.cpp	588

Return on error: error code -3,	/home/msdk/mdp_msdk-samples/samples/sample_decode/src/pipeline_decode.cpp	258

Return on error: error code 1,	/home/msdk/mdp_msdk-samples/samples/sample_decode/src/sample_decode.cpp	341

Same result occured after samples recompilation.

My HW: Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 with Intel Core i7-3940XM,

lspci output:

$ lspci -nn | grep VGA
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0166] (rev 09)

lsmod output:

$ lsmod
i915                  471207  1
drm_kms_helper         46585  1 i915
drm                   236680  2 i915,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit           13423  1 i915
video                  19651  1 i915

I install SDK with dpkg:

$ dpkg -l | grep intel
ii  intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu     16.3.2.1.26973                                      Dev package of An Intel implementation of the DRI driver.
ii  intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu 16.3.2.1.26973                                      An Intel implementation of the DRI driver - DRM backend.
hi  libdrm-intel1                    2.4.52-1~precise1                                   Userspace interface to intel-specific kernel DRM services -- runtime

Thanks for any help!

PS In which file I need to enter the product key?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Alexander_D_2
Beginner

Small update: laptor Lenovo Thinkpad T530 (not 520). Discrete nVidia card turned off in BIOS.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Hi Alexander,

This release is expected to work with Ubuntu 12.04.  However, it is the last one to support Ubuntu and the last one to support 3rd generation Core/Ivybridge processors.  Please see this article for more info:  https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-mediasdk-supported-versions-server

Does the sample run as root?  Adding your account to the video group may help -- see the permissions on /dev/dri/card0. 

Regards, Jeff

0 Kudos
Alexander_D_2
Beginner

Hi Jeffrey,

I try it to run both on Ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04 with same result. By the way in your article I see that 2015 SDK for linux does not support 3rd generation of Ivybridge processors. But documentation in archive has another information. Where is true?

User is added to group 'video' and relogined (id command shows me video group). Also I tried to run it as root - result is same.

/dev/dri/card0 have 660 permission and root:video owner.

How Can I take more infarmation regard this error? Set some enviropment variables, turn on DRI or driver logs?

Also, ask again: in which file must I put product key?

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Releases of Media Server Studio 2015 target different HW and OSes.

R1, R2: 3rd and 4th generation Core (Ivybridge/Haswell),  Ubuntu 12.04/SLES 11.3. 

The next release (R3) will target 4th Generation/Haswell processors only, CentOS 7/SLES 12 only.  There is a preview in the R2 package.

For R2, installation tends to work better with the install_media.sh script than the .deb/.rpm packages.

Unfortunately there aren't many options for logging or diagnostics in R2.  There are more in the 16.4 (R3) preview and we're working on improving this for future releases.   For R2 you can try these steps:

1. remove all versions of libva and libdrm from the system
  2. run install_media.sh
  3. reboot: make sure it is to the 3.8.0-23-generic kernel with default options (i.e. no nomodeset, etc.)
  4. Make sure that the i915.ko in use matches the one in SDK2015Production16.3.2.1/kmd/binary/xcode-ubuntu-12.04-k3.8-rel

While other Intel products often require a key, where one is required you'll see a prompt during install.  You shouldn't need a product key for Media Server Studio install,  with the exception of VTune in the Professional edition. 

Regards, Jeff

0 Kudos
Alexander_D_2
Beginner

Hi Jeff again,

Jeffrey Mcallister (Intel) wrote:

R1, R2: 3rd and 4th generation Core (Ivybridge/Haswell),  Ubuntu 12.04/SLES 11.3. 

The next release (R3) will target 4th Generation/Haswell processors only, CentOS 7/SLES 12 only.  There is a preview in the R2 package.

Thanks for clarifications!

For R2, installation tends to work better with the install_media.sh script than the .deb/.rpm packages.

Ooook.

For R2 you can try these steps:

1. remove all versions of libva and libdrm from the system
  2. run install_media.sh
  3. reboot: make sure it is to the 3.8.0-23-generic kernel with default options (i.e. no nomodeset, etc.)
  4. Make sure that the i915.ko in use matches the one in SDK2015Production16.3.2.1/kmd/binary/xcode-ubuntu-12.04-k3.8-rel

I do this steps but example tool fails anyway. Is it possible that my HW simple does not supported?

While other Intel products often require a key, where one is required you'll see a prompt during install.  You shouldn't need a product key for Media Server Studio install,  with the exception of VTune in the Professional edition. 

Thanks for info.

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello Alexander, 

Reagrding "./sample_decode_drm h264 -i data.h264 -o out.yuv -hw", are you running the pre-built samples from the _bin/ folder, or did you compile the samples using the build.pl command?

I would recommend you build the samples using the build.pl command since pre-built binaries are known to have issues working on Ubuntu.

(On a side note, we have released new version of samples and product, please download them and use them. https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio-support/code-samples. Let us know if you are seeing any issues).

0 Kudos
Alexander_D_2
Beginner

Hi SRAVANTHI, Jeff,

Thanks for your time. Look like issue solved.

I think that my data.h264 was corrupted. With new data it works. Also I do some install/reinstall in different combinations. It also may help. Will try on clean server in future.

For FAQ: check input data for valid in same errors. It will be cool to put sample YUV and h264 data files to SDK distribution.

0 Kudos
randy_s_2
Beginner

are you no longer supporting Ubuntu in future releases past R3 ?

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

That is correct.  Starting in R3, Ubuntu 12.04 is no longer a "gold" configuration.  However, please watch for more information on "Generic" installs.  Details are still coming together, but the basic idea is to provide a starting point for a wide range of Linux distributions.  We will provide patches for the 3.14.5 kernel.  You can either use this kernel directly or port the patches yourself to a different kernel.  Please note though: we will only be able to help with issues reproducible in "gold" configurations or, with some constraints, with the 3.14.5 kernel.    

0 Kudos
Alexander_D_2
Beginner

Jeffrey Mcallister (Intel) wrote:

However, please watch for more information on "Generic" installs.  Details are still coming together, but the basic idea is to provide a starting point for a wide range of Linux distributions. 

Looks great! Will you orient on some LSB specification?

We will provide patches for the 3.14.5 kernel.

Currently you does not provide patches but already PATHED sources. Is it possible provide patches as is? I think, it will be more good to support "non-standard" or "generic" kernels: you simple apply patches to new sources, fix issues, recompile and use.

0 Kudos