Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Media SDK JPEG Memory Leak

Steve_S_5
Beginner

Hi,

I'm running a fairly simple transcode which is showing a memory leak when encoding JPEGs with driver version 20.19.15.4539 on Windows 10 with a i7-6770HQ CPU / Iris Pro 580 GPU.

I have run two separate processing pipelines.  First is an mpeg2 decode to an h264 encode; this runs just fine with no noticeable leaks.  Changing just the initialisation code for the encoder to perform a JPEG encode instead of h264, I see a significant leak of the order of ~450MB over the course of around 12 minutes.  This is doing 25 frames per second, so assuming the leak is per-frame then it is around 25KB per frame.

Again, literally the only difference between the two runs was changing the parameters to the the MFXVideoENCODE_Init call, so I am pretty confident that this is a leak in the driver rather than in my surrounding code.

One additional point, the encoder is reporting MFX_WRN_PARTIAL_ACCELERATION when initialising; I was expecting JPEG encodes on Skylake to be hardware.  Don't know if that's related to the leak or a subject for another post.

Any ideas on how to diagnose the leak further?

Cheers,

Steve

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Steve_S_5
Beginner

One additional note - I've just run the exact same code under CentOS, and it is showing no signs of leaks, so it looks very much like a windows driver issue

0 Kudos
Steve_S_5
Beginner

Another update - I just found this thread https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/699527, and can confirm that driver version 21.20.16.4534 appears to have solved the memory leak.  Is there likely to be an update to the latest version soon which includes this fix?  Just slightly surprised that an older driver version apparently contains a newer media version than a later driver - make it kind of hard to know which driver should be getting installed!

0 Kudos
a_k_4
Beginner

Same issue with:

Lenovo ThinkPad P50
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70GHz, 2712 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
Intel(R) HD graphics 530 - driver: 

0 Kudos