Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Media SDK in GVT-D or GVT-G

Tommaso_E_
Beginner

Hello,

I would like to try to use the Intel Media SDK in a GVT-D or GVT-G configuration under Xen or KVM (Esxi seems not good at any of the two technology).

The problem is: which Chipset and CPU supports GVT-*

Intel is not clear regarding the support. Reading around it seems you need a Xeon with Iris PRO. Iris and HD are not enough. Nor a Core i7 with Iris Pro.

Is there a particular place where you can check for it?

Someone managed to install everything of a Gigabyte Brix that uses a 4th gen core i7. In Xen HCL you see just Xeon E3-12** between the supported processors but just for passthrough. Around internet seems that passthrough should work with intel intel HD > 4600 and Iris and Iris Pro.

The situation is mixed, and the chipset that you need for everything to work too. 

The bios is another story apart, but that problem is solvable speaking directly to the company producing the motherboard.

Is there someone that knows some of the answers?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Tommaso,

There is an article How to setup Media Server Studio R6 on VT-d for Media Server Studio in GVT-D on Linux.

Hope it can help.

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos
Tommaso_E_
Beginner

Hi thank you! I read that article previously. Interesting article, but it shows just one cpu and one chipset. 

I would like to find out which cpu supports all the GVT feature set

Nowhere it is mentioned about it...

0 Kudos
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Tommaso,

For find Intel CPUs support VT-d, You can use following URL -

http://ark.intel.com/search/advanced?VTD=true&MarketSegment=DT

For check the CPU supports GVT feature set: go to http://ark.intel.com and search on your CPU mode as the keyword.  like "i7-4770R"

In the result of search you maybe care about following -

Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) Yes
Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)
Yes
Intel® VT-x with Extended Page Tables (EPT)
Yes

You can use following command line to check your CPU mode on Linux
$ cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -i intel

Thanks,

Zachary

0 Kudos
Tommaso_E_
Beginner

Hi Zachary, thanks.

That unfortunately shows just part of mistery.

The full future set of GVT is GVT-d, -g and -s. 

While GVT-d seems to be supported starting from HD 4*** depends then on the hypervisor you use and the driver. GVT-s instead seems to require a driver that from an exchange of emails with vSGA seems will support starting from Iris Pro (and reading around in internet just on Xeon). GVT-g instead seems complete for Haswell but not yet there for Broadwell.

And between all this, you still need to get which chipset will make it work, because for Xeon v3, v4 a c226 is required it is seen so c222 and c224 is a no go. For normal Core I really don't know which is the minimum chipset requirement.

It would be good in the Ark to have a row for GVT.

0 Kudos
Jiandong_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Tommaso,

For GVT-d, -g, -s, I think you can refer to https://01.org/zh/blogs/skjain/2014/intel%C2%AE-graphics-virtualization-update.

I think we need understand which parts are implemented via hardware, which parts are implements via software in GPU virtualization.

GVT-d, -g, -s all need hardware support "Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d)", but some parts implements via software in hypervisor or kernel.

so I think Ark's information is enough. because It is only including hardware details.

more information, I think https://01.org/zh/igvt-g should be a good resource.

Thanks

Zachary

0 Kudos