Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Media Server Studio TU7gacc mode for HEVC

Manish_K_
Beginner

Hi

In header file mfxstructures.h the enum is defined as 

/* TargetUsages: from 1 to 7 inclusive */
enum {
    MFX_TARGETUSAGE_1    =1,
    MFX_TARGETUSAGE_2    =2,
    MFX_TARGETUSAGE_3    =3,
    MFX_TARGETUSAGE_4    =4,
    MFX_TARGETUSAGE_5    =5,
    MFX_TARGETUSAGE_6    =6,
    MFX_TARGETUSAGE_7    =7,

MFX_TARGETUSAGE_UNKNOWN         =0,
    MFX_TARGETUSAGE_BEST_QUALITY    =MFX_TARGETUSAGE_1,
    MFX_TARGETUSAGE_BALANCED        =MFX_TARGETUSAGE_4,
    MFX_TARGETUSAGE_BEST_SPEED      =MFX_TARGETUSAGE_7
};

While the document: 

https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/4a/70/Intel_HEVCwhitepaper_v1.41_12Jan2015.pdf

says usage of Media Server Studio TU7gacc mode. How should I enable this is in my software?

Is this mode only available for Licence version of Media Server Studio?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
shashwat_D_
Beginner

Hi..

Even I'm wondering the same. Can anyone shed some light on it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Manish, 

The HEVC SW encoder supports TU1 to TU7 modes which you can use. The HEVC Hybrid/graphics accelerated encoder currently supports TU7 which is used as TU7gacc mode in the white paper. So, to use TU7gacc mode, you would be using HEVC graphics accelerated HW implementation.  We are extending to use more TU modes for HEVC Hybrid implementation in our future releases.
I hope I have got your question right. Let me know if there is more I can help you with. 

Thanks, 
-Surbhi

0 Kudos
shashwat_D_
Beginner

Hi surabhi,

So if I've used HEVC H/W plugin and directX device acceleration services then setting TargetUsage to MFX_TARGETUSAGE_7  will automatically set TU7gacc  mode?

Regards, Shashwat

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Shashwat,

Yes, if you are using the sample_encode to test. Please do these following changes- 
Please add HEVC HW plugin GUID in mfxplugin.h 

static const mfxPluginUID  MFX_PLUGINID_HEVCE_HW     = {{0xe5, 0x40, 0x0a, 0x06, 0xc7, 0x4d, 0x41, 0xf5, 0xb1, 0x2d, 0x43, 0x0b, 0xba, 0xa2, 0x3d, 0x0b}};

and add MFX_PLUGINID_HEVCD_HW implementation in plugin_utils.cpp
I am attaching the changed files, please replace them with existing files. You should be able to use sample_encode to use HEVC HW implementation. 

Let us know if you are able to use HEVC HW encoder successfully.

Thanks,
-Surbhi

0 Kudos