Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

Media Server for Linux Skylake Support Status Update?

John_I_1
Beginner

Hello,

I have searched trough the forums, and the last official correspondence I could find on the topic of Skylake processor support for Intel Media Server on Linux was in February. The gist of it was "We're working on it". Can we get some sort of update on the status of the project? The lack of support almost 9 months after the release of the Skylake platform has me disillusioned with Intel's commitment to the Linux platform. I was strongly considering a day one upgrade to Kaby Lake for the full 10-bit HEVC hardware encoding/decoding support, should I expect to not see Kaby Lake support on Linux until late 2017/early 2018? I'm going to have to strongly reconsider my hardware choices if Intel can only provide the lip service of "It's in the plans!" instead of providing at least a very loose timeline on what users can expect from them supporting their own hardware. 

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi John, I have send you a message. Hope you can reply us there to discuss further. 

-Surbhi

0 Kudos
Dima_G_
Beginner

Hello,

I have the same question - when propper drivers for Skylake will be avialabile? I already have few Skylake platforms to test on.

Is it possible to have even beta version of this driver?

0 Kudos
Surbhi_M_Intel
Employee

Hi Dima & John, 

Skylake support in Media Server Studio will be out early 3rd quarter of this year in our next major release i.e. Media Server Studio 2017. I have updated the forum note as well - https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk/topic/610546 

Appreciate your patience. 

Thanks,
Surbhi

0 Kudos
jiří_l_
Beginner

Hello Surbhi,

Do you have any news about 7th generation (Kaby Lake)? I see that MediaServerStudioEssentials2017R2.tar.gz (Getting Started Guide) supports only 6th generation (Skylake).

Many thanks
Jiri

0 Kudos
Andrade__André
Beginner

Same question as Jiri.

Does it mean I can't utilize QSV (HEVC) of i7-7700k?

0 Kudos