Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Metrics Monitor in 2015R3 Does Not Run

John_H_7
Beginner

Hi,

I've installed the Media Server Professional 2015R3 on a CentOS 7 system. The install went well, and encode and decode samples are working fine.

Not so lucky with the Metrics Monitor.  When I either run the provided binary our build and run the sample, it immediately fails when CTTMetrics_Init(0 is called with:

ERROR: Failed to initialize metrics monitor, error code -10

Doc is no help; it list no error return possibilities.

Any suggestions on getting it going?

Thanks,

John

0 Kudos
17 Replies
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi John,

Can you provide more details on the system you are using? 

Just to clarify, you ran the ./build.sh script from the metrcis_monitor/sample folder, and then ran ./run.sh?

0 Kudos
John_H_7
Beginner

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The system is a Supero X10SLH-F.  It has 8 cores -  Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1285 v3 @ 3.60GHz. It has 12GB of memory.

And yes, it builds fine with the script, but does not run when the script is executed.

Decode and encode samples run fine.

Regards,

John

0 Kudos
John_H_7
Beginner

Hi,

I'm still interested in getting the Metrics Monitor going.

Suggestions, please?

-John

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi John - Apologies for the delayed response. The metrics_monitor tool needs to be run as root (not sudo, but as root). Can you please ensure you are doing that, and get back to us? Thanks.

0 Kudos
John_H_7
Beginner

Nothing quite so obvious as running non-root:

[root@sut-1300 metrics_monitor]# ls -l
total 24
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   95 Dec 13 02:41 build.sh
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2947 Feb  2 13:14 cttmetrics_sample.cpp
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 9122 Feb  2 13:15 metrics_monitor
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   72 Dec 13 02:41 run.sh
[root@sut-1300 metrics_monitor]# file metrics_monitor
metrics_monitor: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.32, BuildID[sha1]=0xf2730210de6ae8dcc6b74b6700a56210afaaf352, not stripped
[root@sut-1300 metrics_monitor]# whoami
root

[root@sut-1300 metrics_monitor]# cat run.sh
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$PWD/../_bin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

./metrics_monitor
[root@sut-1300 metrics_monitor]# ./run.sh
ERROR: Failed to initialize metrics monitor, error code -10

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

The error you are observing corresponds to -     CTT_ERR_DRIVER_NO_INSTRUMENTATION   = -10, /* i915 driver has no instrumentation */

(This is available in the <msdk install>/tools/metrics_monitor/include/cttmetrics.h )

This could be an issue with the stack or kernel or metrics_monitor issue itself. To understand more, could you please provide the following information? I could take a look at it and also escalate it. Provide the output of:

- uname -ar

- lmsod | grep i915

- what is the MSS version i use (the latest one on the web is the R4 version, hope you re using that).

Thanks.

0 Kudos
John_H_7
Beginner

Ok, here you are:

[root@sut-1300 Intel-Samples]# uname -ar
Linux sut-1300 3.10.0-123.9.3.29573.MSSr3.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jan 29 18:15:47 EST 2015 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[root@sut-1300 Intel-Samples]# lsmod | grep i915
i915                  734314  3
drm_kms_helper         52758  2 ast,i915
drm                   297577  6 ast,ttm,i915,drm_kms_helper
i2c_algo_bit           13413  3 ast,igb,i915
i2c_core               40325  7 ast,drm,igb,i915,i2c_i801,drm_kms_helper,i2c_algo_bit
video                  19267  1 i915

MSS version is from this last January -  MediaServerStudioProfessionalEvaluation2015R3 Perhaps there's a new release out now? Would that help?

Thanks.

John

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Thanks for the information. Will get back to you soon.

MSS version is from this last January -  MediaServerStudioProfessionalEvaluation2015R3 Perhaps there's a new release out now? Would that help? --> Yes, please update to the latest version available now (which is R4)

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi John - Can you verify the KMD driver installation? The metrics monitor requires instrumented KMD driver from the Media Server Studio package, and please make sure that driver is installed correctly (we package 2 install scripts and getting started guide, which goes over install instructions including KMD driver install).

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Smoke test to check if KMD driver w/instrumentation was installed from MSS correctly - if this file does not exist, then KMD from MSS needs to be installed again “/sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/i915_ringstats"

If this file above exists and you still get the error, please let us know. Thanks.

0 Kudos
John_H_7
Beginner

No, it's not there.

I'm going to upgrade to 2015R4 anyway, so let's see what happens then.  I presume this file should still be there when 2015R4 is installed?

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

John - Yes, please update to R4 and you should find the instrumentation file in it. (Although there is no reason why it should not already be part of R3 - it is included. My guess being KMD driver from MSS was probably not installed correctly).

0 Kudos
gabriel_p_2
Beginner

Any news ? I am running Iris Pro 580 everithing is OK, except metrics monitor

[root@localhost sample]# ./run.sh
ERROR: Failed to subscribe for metrics, error code 1
[root@localhost sample]#

0 Kudos
Stan_S_
Beginner

gabriel pisin wrote:

[root@localhost sample]#

I have exactly the same problem and it is very embaransing not to have metrics on the Iris!

Would be very helpfull if somebody from Intel responds to this!

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi gabriel and Stan,

There is the other thread is talking about this issue too, someone in Ubuntu changed the complier version go g++4.9 and fixed it temporarily before the reboot. This is like a software issue.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk/topic/733549

Mark

0 Kudos
rasko_N_
Beginner

gabriel p. wrote:

[root@localhost sample]#

We have same problem, so i pass this problem and now using intel_gpu_top from intel-gpu-tolols package, it works!

Rashad

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi rasko,

Sorry for the late response, the update and workaround are posted at:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk/topic/733549

Please try it and let me know if it doesn't work

Mark

0 Kudos