Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Motherboards for Multi-CPU Quick Sync encoding

celli4
New Contributor I

Are there any known motherboards or complete systems which support using Quick Sync on multiple CPUs at the same time?

Any two CPU motherboards?

Any four CPU motherboards?

Regards,

Cameron

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi Cameron,

At the moment QuickSync is not supported for multi-socket platforms. Sorry.

Regards,
Petter 

0 Kudos
Timophey_S_
Beginner

Hi!

Is QuickSync supported for multi-socket platforms now (2014R2 release)?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Media SDK's hardware implementation is currently available only in single socket configurations.  However, this isn't necessarily a density limitation.  There are several options available from multiple OEMs providing many processors in the same server.  For some examples please see the suggested hardware list at https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio/details.

0 Kudos
Timophey_S_
Beginner

So, I'm sorry for the ambiguous question. I meant to say the following.

Assume that I have many processors in the same server. Can several "QuickSync devices" be used simultaneously e.g. for transcoding? In other words, assume I can transcode 30 channels, using one processor with QuickSync. Does this mean that about 30*2 (I understand that in fact less) channels can be transcoded, using two processor configuration.

0 Kudos
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

the Core and Xeon e3 processors which can run Media SDK with HW acceleration are only available in single socket configurations.  With multiple blades (basically, multiple single processor machines) performance can scale with the number of processors.  30 channels per blade across 10 blades = 300 channels per server.  However this is not quite the same as multi-socket with shared memory, etc.

0 Kudos