Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

Need Intel Media Codec (Decoding) plugin sample source code and example code how to load/use it.

shavkat_n_
Beginner

Hi, I have been searching for Intel Media Codec Plugin sample project.  Using ffmpeg I need to create mpeg4 decoder plugin. I know about sample_plugins from samples folder but those are vpp plugin example which are used after decoding with intel medis sdk( decode -> [vpp plugin] -> encode). What I need is to replace native decoder with custom decoder ([decode plugin] -> vpp -> encode). I think it is called user plugin, and not media sdk plugin. But I even can't find difference between two in terms of implementations/usage. Will I need to use MFX_PLUGINLOAD_TYPE_FILE or MFX_PLUGINLOAD_TYPE_GUID when loading plugin ?  In Extensions for User-Defined Functions.pdf it also talks about General Plug-in and Codec Plug-in. I guess I need to use Codec Plug-in obviously right?  But sample project and plugin usage example code would be appreciated.

Thank you, 

Best regards

Processor Type: (development) Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570 cpu @ 3.40 GHz 3.40 GHz / 

(test/production) Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1286 v3 @ 3.70GHz 3.70GHz

Driver Version: default
Operating System: (development) Windows 7/ (test/production) Window Server 2012 R2
Media SDK System Analyzer: not used
Quick Reproducer Code:
Concise Description of the Issue:
Priority: ranges from High to Low
               High        -  Completely blocked to make any progress.
               Medium   -  Have workaround to make progress for now.
               Low         -  Not affecting your progress but need it for solution.
Input File:
Tracer log(if required)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Anna_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Shavkat,

We don't have decoding plugin sample. Creating user plugins is a little bit complicated. It's used for asynchronous execution that improves performance a little bit. But if it doesn't make sense for you, you don't need to create a plugin, you can just write your app and transfer data to vpp and encoder.

Best wishes,

Anna 

0 Kudos
shavkat_n_
Beginner

Anna B. (Intel) wrote:

Hi Shavkat,

We don't have decoding plugin sample. Creating user plugins is a little bit complicated. It's used for asynchronous execution that improves performance a little bit. But if it doesn't make sense for you, you don't need to create a plugin, you can just write your app and transfer data to vpp and encoder.

Best wishes,

Anna 

Hello Anna,

Thank you for reply. That project is still pending. Actually situation is as following. Currently there is Intel pipeline based video transcoding solution available. It supports Intel supported video codecs (h264, mpeg2, etc) both for input and output. It seamlessly does decoding into raw stream and then encoding. What needs to be accomplished is it should accept mpeg4(ie. h263) codec as input and transcode into h264 for output. It seems I need to integrate Mpeg4 decoding part into pipeline. I wanted to make vpp plugin but as I understand it operates on decoded streams. 

Or did you mean I should intercept streams (if mpeg4 codec) from third party mpeg4 (ffmpeg) decoder and send raw streams to vpp and encoder ? 

Thank you

0 Kudos