Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

New drivers for Haswell, v4156, new API v1.14, v4170 new API v1.15

diamantis__nikos

Hello.

I've just installed new Haswell drivers v4156 and a new API v1.14 appeared.

Is it a bug or real ? How could I find more info/documentation about the new API and the new features added ?

And a more general question is how could someone find info about new API versions added by drivers and not by MediaSDK itself ?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

Yes, with Haswell drivers v4156 new API 1.14 support is released. No, its not a bug and real. This means, the new graphic drivers supports the new or higher version of the API. 

Information from the drivers, is which version of API it supports. Information regarding to updated API 1.14 like release notes, manual will be provided by the release of MSDK API. So, where you query through your dispatcher in your application you see that driver supports new version of API shows up. Details about the MSDK API 1.14 is not public and I will notify when it does. Stay tuned.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
diamantis__nikos

It looks like that for every new driver released, a new API version is released too.

The new driver v4170 for Haswell/ Broadwell includes a new API v1.15

Are those new APIs (v1.14 - v1.15) for Broadwell only ?

Do they include features that could be enabled on Haswell too ?

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

The new API's (v1.14-v1.15) supports Haswell too. Generally we maintain a (-1) backward platform compatibility. Hence all the 15.36 v4170 version of the driver do support both Haswell and Broadwell. Yes, the new version of API does support all the features on Haswell too provided those features and also supported and enabled on platform (Haswell). 

Thanks,

0 Kudos
diamantis__nikos
Hello, your last sentence is what I meant by my question. Are the new features of API v1.14-1.15 enabled on Haswell platform ? When are we going to see those features because both APIs are not documented (I think)
0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

Are the new features of API v1.14-1.15 enabled on Haswell platform ?--> Yes, the new features of API's (v1.14 -1.15) are enabled and supported on Haswell and Broadwell platforms. All the supported features on platforms will be documented in the MSDK user manual. 

When are we going to see those features because both APIs are not documented (I think) --> Next INDE release update is soon and will include complete documentation on the new features included with new API's. Please check INDE - https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-inde tomorrow for an update.

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
diamantis__nikos
The new INDE 2015 Update 2 includes new MSDK as well, with API v1.15 documentation, mainly about HEVC encoding of Skylake. So, it's official: Skylake supports HW H.265 encoding. Release notes: https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/managed/48/ce/mediasdk_release_notes.pdf
0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi,

MSDK is part of INDE suite. So all the new versions of the API will be provided with complete documentation along with release of INDE update going forward and yes.

Thanks,

0 Kudos