Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

No -hw for MVC encode/decode?

karl_lillevold
Beginner
I was running experiments with MVC encode and decode, but when attempting -hw acceleration on my 2500K CPU, it fails with error code -3.
I assume this means hardware acceleration is not supported for MVC? Are there any plans to?
(3.0 Beta4)
Regards,
-Karl L.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
IDZ_A_Intel
Employee
Hi Karl,

MVC HW acceleration will be supported by our next generation platform that will be released early next year.

Until then please use the SW MVC path for current generation Intel platforms.

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos
karl_lillevold
Beginner
Thanks, Petter! Is your next generation platform's codename Ivy Bridge?
0 Kudos
IDZ_A_Intel
Employee
Yes, that's correct. :)
0 Kudos
madshi_net
Beginner
Just for my interest: MVC decoding usually contains a left and right eye stream, where one of the streams is a normal h264 stream. Which means that in theory MSDK could use hardware decoding for one eye and software decoding for the other eye. Is that the way it is implemented right now? Or are there technical problems with implementing such a mixed hw/sw decode?
0 Kudos
karl_lillevold
Beginner
madshi.net: that's a good point. And that should also apply to the encoder. There would be some technical problems though. An encoder can choose to predict the right view from the left (or is it left from right), although it rarely provides any compression benefits. If that is the case, to encode/decode the right view one would need fast access to the memory the left view is stored in. Cross GPU/system boundary memory accesses may be slow - just guessing though, don't really know.
-Karl.
0 Kudos
IDZ_A_Intel
Employee
Hi Madshi and Karl,

The Media SDK codec is a bit more complex than the H.264 codec since it takes advantage of inter view (L,R) compression.

Let me clarify a bit more regarding HW acceleration of MVC codec. In connection with the release of our next generation platform, early next year, we will release a new driver. When this driver becomes available it can also be used on current generation platform (Sandy Bridge), effectively enabling MVC HW acceleration via Media SDK.

That said, dual H.264 decode (or encode) is always an option for S3D implementations. With current generation drivers this can be achieved using full HW acceleration (both left and right view).

Regards,
Petter
0 Kudos