Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Number of available GPUs per CPU family/model/stepping ?

Mamil_A_
Beginner

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Mamil_A_
Beginner

I've been trying to find on the web some kind of summary/document/table which would quote the number of GPUs per Intel family/model/stepping. Anybody has some useful pointer ?

Thanks,

Mamil

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi Mamil,

By "GPUs" I assume you're interested in the number of parallel "EUs" that are available in the one graphics device.  The Media SDK abstracts this information and treats the device as a single entity (and internal code is optimized to make use of available resources).  The EUs are not the only components used for MeidaSDK tasks. 

Other APIs (like OpenCL or DirectCompute) that are designed for parallel execution have methods of reporting the number of available EUs.

I do not know of any 'offical' table listing all of Intel's products, as there are many "SKUs" and a wide variety of implementations.  Using the MediaSDK API allows application to work well on existing products, as well as future products.

-Tony

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Anybody has some useful pointer? Take a look at developer.nvidia.com and the site has lots of information for developers.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Hi Tony,

Are Intel GPU  "EU's" related to Nvidia shader cores?

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Here is a quote from the initial post: '...number of GPUs per Intel family/model/stepping...'.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

He was asking about the Intel GPU information not Nvidia.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Tony, This is a short follow up... >>...Other APIs (like OpenCL or DirectCompute) that are designed for parallel execution have methods of reporting the >>number of available EUs... I tried to get some information ( so far in a manual way ) from a NVIDIA Control Panel on my Dell Precision M4700. The system has two graphics cards: Intel HD Graphics 4000 and NVIDIA Quadro K1000M. So, when I selected Intel HD Graphics 4000 as a default card NVIDIA's System Information doesn't show any technical details for Intel HD Graphics 4000 card. However, this is what it shows for NVIDIA Quadro K1000M: nvidiacplsysinfo.jpg
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I suppose that Nvidia utillity will not show any info about the other architecture gpu.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
It is still not clear if is everything correct. GpuCpl test application shows some details, like: ... GPU CONFIGURATION: - Bus mode: PCI - Bus transfer rate: Unable to retrieve - Video memory size: 512 MBytes - Antialiasing setting: Off - Number of Frames Buffered: 3 Frame(s) - Setting Number of Frames Buffered to 1: 1 Frame(s) - Resetting Number of Frames Buffered to 3: 3 Frame(s) - Number of GPUs: 0. - Number of GPUs in SLI mode: 0. ...
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

You can cross check those information with GPU-Z tool which also supports Intel graphics hardware.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Are you using triple buffering in your gpu?

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi Folks,

This is a "Media SDK" support forum. While other hardware vendors may have other documentation about other APIs, I am not seeing any question about Intel products here.  The hardware implementation of the MediaSDK is designed to support a 'session' that makes appropriate use of hardware resources (which are very different than the resources of other hardware vendors).  While the Media SDK 'works with' other APIs, there is not a MediaSDK API for "GP GPU" programming.  (Implementation of MediaSDK may or may not use general-purpose or fixed function hardware resources).  If there are unrelated questions about Intel support for other APIs, please direct them to the appropriate forums.

-Tony

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Mamil, I'm still trying to gather some information about how it could be done with some API and I'll post results later. Please take a look at another screenshot: intelhdgraphics4000info.jpg Also, you could create another thread in Watercooler/Catchall forum ( software.intel.com/en-us/forums/watercooler-catchall ) by yourself. Honestly, I would prefer to stop any technical discussions here.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...This is a "Media SDK" support forum... Tony, The original question was generic and I admit that. So, if you feel that the thread needs to be moved to a Watercooler/Catchall forum ( software.intel.com/en-us/forums/watercooler-catchall ) please do so. However, there nothing wrong if we try to discuss that subject even if it is Not related for 100% to Intel Media SDK. Four IDZ user provided some feedbacks ( including you ) and I don't see any violations of IDZ Forums' Rules and Policies.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Sergey

You can use GPU-Z tool to query your gpu(s).You will more detailed information.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...You can use GPU-Z tool to query your gpu(s)... Did you read me previous post addressed to Tony? As soon as I have some information on how to get that information with some API I'll create a new thread in the Watercooler/Catchall forum.
0 Kudos