Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

OneVPL sample encode CBR mode failed with MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED

RomanKopytin
Beginner

Hi, dear media team.

I have issue with latest release of the OneVPL.

I want to use SW library from the package with CBR mode but it doesn't work.

SW library is C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\oneAPI\vpl\2022.2.0\bin\libvplswref64.dll

CL: sample_encode.exe h265 -cbr -i D:\Streams\in.yuv -o D:\Streams\out.h265 -w 1920 -h 1080 -b 1500 -r 1 -f 30 -timeout 20 -sw

The same issue for AVC.

CPU

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11370H @ 3.30GHz

Driver 27.20.100.9664

0 Kudos
5 Replies
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

We are working on this internally. We will get bck to you soon with an update.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

We were able to reproduce your issue with the command you've run. Please try running your command prompt as an administrator & try with hardware implementation as below:

sample_encode.exe h264 -cbr -i input.yuv -o output.h264 -w 1920 -h 1080

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
RomanKopytin
Beginner

Thanks, but we need to have SW. With HW we haven't got any issues.

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi Roman,

We got an update from the Dev team that oneVPL Software implementation is a reference implementation. So, we don't expect it to support CBR for all codecs. One known limitation is, encoders with CBR rate control, big resolution, and small max bitrate may fail. 

Here is a Media SDK article that discusses the impact of different metrics for CBR/VBR:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/technical/common-bitrate-control-methods-in-intel-media-sdk.html

If this resolves your issue, make sure to accept this as a solution. This helps others with similar issue. Thanks!

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos
AlekhyaV_Intel

Hi,

We assume that your issue is resolved. If you need any further assistance, please post a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel.

Regards,

Alekhya

0 Kudos