Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

OneVpl setup with GPU driver

Priyanka_B_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I am interested to have OneVPL integrated  in order to improve the hardware acceleration with regards to the video decoding & encoding , video processing services on GPU.

So can you help me to get some technical clarifications on the below questions: (considering the factor that its intended for GPU)

1. Do we need make explicit invocations to OneVPL software APIs for any initialization, or setup from the software code perspective ? 

2. Secondly since here we are interested for only  acceleration on GPU, can we make the oneVPL integration by including VAAPI driver & libva

3. Do we have any performance figures observed with hardware acceleration on GPU for linux platform

Thanks in advance !

0 Kudos
6 Replies
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Priyanka_B_Intel,

The current released version of oneVPL(2021.1) ie OneAPI gold. This version does have only CPU support. GPU support and hardware codecs are expected to be available with the next release of oneVPL.

To create and initialize a session starting from API version 2.0 MFXInitialize funtion is used. Please find below documentation for MFXInitialize .

https://spec.oneapi.com/versions/latest/elements/oneVPL/source/API_ref/VPL_func_session.html#_CPPv413MFXInitialize22mfxInitializationParamP10mfxSession

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos
Nikita_Kovalev
Beginner

Hi ArunJ_Intel,

Can you share any dates of next release (with GPU support)?

0 Kudos
Priyanka_B_Intel
Employee

Hi @ArunJ_Intel ,

Okay I understand the last release was not having the GPU support. But there were earlier release where we had both GPU & CPU support. I already have that GPU supported OneVPL package .

So my query was not regarding the GPU support availability .

I basically want to get this understanding that in order to enable a GPU support and not integrate the CPU related mfx changes , then will updating the libva & iHD drv from the old OneVPl release be good enough to enhance its support on GPU ?

And also I had requested that if you have any performance figures on OneVPL with GPU integrated even if that is for older release .

Regards

Priyanka

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi Priyanka

Updating the libva & iHD drv from the old OneVPl release should be good enough to enhance support on GPU. You could find information on updating drivers in the below link.

https://dgpu-docs.intel.com/

To answer your second question on performance figures on OneVPL with GPU integration, these numbers are not published and are not available. You could try running the included samples on your hardware to get performance numbers.

Hi @Nikita_Kovalev

It is currently not possible to share the dates for next release. Please watch out the OneAPI official website where you would be notified on the next OneAPI releases. 

http://intel.com/oneapi

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi

Is there anything else we could help you with regarding this issue.

Thanks

Arun Jose

0 Kudos
ArunJ_Intel

Hi

If you need any additional information, please submit a new question as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Thanks

Arun

0 Kudos