Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

OpenCL GPU driver for i5-3450S CPU

Kapil_D_
Beginner

Hi,

We have an Intel Core i5-3450S processor with integrated gpu. I believe it has Intel® HD Graphics 2500  graphics device. We are running CentOS 7.1 OS on it.

I notice that the recent Media Sever Studio only supports HD Graphics series greater than 4200 (https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/media_server_studio_essentials_release_notes_linux.pdf). Could you point me to the equivalent Media Server Studio or a working OpenCL driver for the i5-3450 S processor?

Thanks,

Kapil

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Kapil_D_
Beginner

Hi,

I just checked the output of "lspci -nn | grep VGA" command on the i5-3450S processor. The output is as follows:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller [8086:0152] (rev 09)

I thought this information might be helpful.

Thanks,

Kapil

0 Kudos
Shaojuan_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Kapil,

As you know, Media Server Studio only support 4th generation Core and above. Intel INDE does support 3rd generation HD graphics 2500 as you have. However, OpenCL Code Builder in INDE only supports Windows. There is no more driver updates in Linux since 2013, and for such old driver, some features are not guaranteed, as there could be bug fixes in newer drivers. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Kapil_D_
Beginner

Hi Shaojuan,

Thanks for the quick response.

I went ahead and installed the latest Media Server Studio on 3rd generation i5-3450S machine with HD 2500 graphics running CentOS. Interestingly, I am able to run OpenCL program on CPU device. However, as expected, I am not able to run OpenCL program on GPU.

So, could there be a workaround to run OpenCL programs on GPU? If you are aware of any old GPU driver for Linux, please let me know. I will give that a try.

Also, please let me know if you have any other suggestion for me in this regard.

Thanks,

Kapil

0 Kudos
Shaojuan_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Kapil,

Your question was forwarded to the driver team. I will update once I have more information. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Shaojuan_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Kapil,

Got feedback from our Open Source team. You will need to download and build the latest Beignet from http://01.org/beignet, which support i5-3450S. Please let us know if this works. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Kapil_D_
Beginner

Thanks a lot Shaojuan!

I will try the Beignet tool.

-Kapil

0 Kudos
Kapil_D_
Beginner

Hi again!

I notice that the Beignet installation steps are mainly for Ubuntu OS. We have CentOS on our system; I am wondering if there are similar guidelines for CentOS.

Nevertheless, I am trying to adapt the installation steps for installing it on CentOS. I am not sure whether I should get feedback directly from the Beignet development team in this regard. Or, I would have to switch to Ubuntu OS.

Your comments are welcome!

Thanks,

Kapil

0 Kudos
Shaojuan_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Kapil,

You don't have to switch to Ubuntu, but you may have to work a bit with CentOS to include Beignet. There is limited support on the upstream project on the project site. Thanks!

0 Kudos