Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Problem while transcoding 1080p stream using Intel Media SDK

Minoli_S_
Beginner

Hello,

I have installed Intel Integrated Native Developer Experience(INDE) 2015 Professional Edition and Intel Media Server Studio Professional Edition 2015r6 on Windows 7 Ultimate(64 bit). I have downloaded code samples for media client solutions MediaSamples_Windows_6.0.068.msi and trying to run sample_multi_transcode. I have successfully transcoded 720p video(without audio) from mpeg2 to mpeg2 and also using h264 codec. But I am not able to successfully transcode 1080p Full HD stream from mpeg2 to mpeg2. Moreover I am also not able to transcode audio stream. 

System Specifications:

• Intel Core i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60 GHz
  • 8 GB RAM
  • Windows 7 Ultimate(64 bit)

I have also attached below the result of Media SDK System Analyzer tool. 

Input Stream specification:

• Codec: mpeg2
  • Duration: 30 minutes
  • File size: 850 MB
  • Resolution: 1920x1080

Please suggest me

How can I transcode 1080p stream with above mentioned specifications and get good output video with mpeg2 codec or h264 codec?

Also how can I transcode audio stream using Intel media SDK?

Please help me to get the solution.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Minoli

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi Minoli -

MPEG2->MPEG2 transcode is supported - I am surprised you are seeing an issue. Can you send us the command-line you are using for this, and the error message you are seeing when you run the transcode? Your input file will also be helpful.

The Media SDK (in Client and Server Studio) only supports video codecs, and no audio codecs unless you have the Professional package which has audio plugins. The audio package itslef does not support all the exisiting audio codecs - please check this webpage for more information on this - https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio/try-buy

If you are looking for audio compression, I recommend using open source solutions like ffmpeg etc to demux the container format, process audio while video is processed via media sdk, and mux it back with ffmpeg. 

0 Kudos
Minoli_S_
Beginner

Hi Sravanthi,

Thank you so much for your support.

I am using Media SDK Professional Edition(Trial Period). The Command-line I am using for transcoding 1080p stream from mpeg2 to mpeg2 is

sample_multi_transcode.exe -hw -i::mpeg2 input1080p_30min.mpeg2 -o::mpeg2 output.mpeg2 -w 1920 -h 1080

While transcoding this 1080p and 30min stream, I am getting an error in code of sample_multi_transcode.cpp and pipeline_transcode.cpp file.

When I transcode same 1080p but only 5min stream, I am able to transcode it. But output stream is not clear, video quality is not good.

So, I want to know why I am not able to transcode that 30min 1080p stream from mpeg2 to mpeg2?

And I am using Professional Edition of Media SDK(in client and Sever studio) which has audio plugins, still Why I am not able to transcode audio file?And which audio codec it supports?

Thanks and Regards,

Minoli

0 Kudos
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

Minoli, few considerations for you.

1. Media SDK and Media Server Studio is not an end user product. it is software development kit for developers. So samples provided is examples how to operate with SDK functional. Audio and video samples are also provided with no synchronization. you should handle it in your application yourself.  For audio encode/transcode look another sample app. sample multi transcode is intended for video only.

2. in transcoding one is the most important option is target bitrate. it is how you want to control bandwidth and video quality. you have missed the option, so some default number is used which probably is not good for 1080p MPEG2

3. regarding "But output stream is not clear, video quality is not good" you should look to your original clip. You said above 850MB for MPEG2 1080 clip --> that means 3.77Mbits/sec - this looks extremely low quality for MPEG2. MPEG2 Bitstream can't achieve Good quality below 15Mbit/sec for 1080p resolution. for sure I am not considering synthetic streams and I assume your 30 min content is real

4. double check if your input content is progressive or interlaced. by default encoder will transcode your content to progressive. if it was interlaced and you want to keep encoding as interlaced you should control it manually. If you want convert interlaced to progressive then better to use VPP deinterlacing filter to make encode input progressive.

Regards, Alexey

0 Kudos
Minoli_S_
Beginner

Hello Alexey,

Thank you so much for your support.

Sorry but I want to clear one thing. I am transcoding a 1080i stream.

Input Stream Specification:

• Size: 2.79 GB
  • Duration: 30min
  • Codec: mpeg2
  • Resolution: 1920x1080

Command line I am using for this is:

sample_multi_transcode.exe -hw -i::mpeg2 input_30_Min_no_audio_1920x1080.mpeg2 -o::mpeg2 output_30min_1920x1080.mpeg2 -deinterlace -b 15000

While running this exe I am getting an error in code of pipeline_transcode.cpp  and sample_multi_transcode.cpp.

So, Why I am not able to transcode that 30min 1080i stream?

Thanks and Regards,

Minoli

0 Kudos
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

something happend at frame #29. can you cut from your sequense first 30 frames to send us?

0 Kudos
Minoli_S_
Beginner

Hello Alexey,

I am sending a sequence of first 36 frames that I created using ffmpeg.

Please find attached file.

0 Kudos
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

to make sure we understand each other - I need first 30 frames of your original MPEG2 clip to reproduce issue with transcoding. transcoded file will not help, I need exactly your original clip but asking to cut only first 30 frames because issue happens at frame #29

Here is example how to use ffmpeg to copy first 30 frames 

ffmpeg.exe -i input_30_Min_no_audio_1920x1080.mpeg2 -vcodec copy -y -frames 30 first30frames.mpg

But so far I guess I know the issue - sample multi transcode works only with elementary stream input while you try to feed it with video in MP2TS container.

Thanks, Alexey

0 Kudos
Minoli_S_
Beginner

Hello Alexey,

I used the command you suggested to copy first 30 frames.

I know sample multi transcode works only with elementary stream input and I am feeding mpeg2 as an input stream while running the sample.

But so far here, while I am attaching a file to send it to you, it is not allowing me to attach a file with extension .mpeg2 or .mpg so I am attaching a .m2ts file. 

So, again I am sending first30frames.mpeg file by changing the extension to .m2ts (just for the sake of attaching the file here). It contains first 30 frames copied from original mpeg2 file.

Please consider the attach file as original .mpeg2 file and help me to get the solution.

Thanks and Regards,

Minoli

0 Kudos
Alexey_F_Intel
Employee

attached file is in MPEG2 Programm stream container, you need to extract an elementary stream before using sample multi transcode. In your development you can add containers support on your own

0 Kudos
Minoli_S_
Beginner

Hello Alexey,

Can you please suggest me how can I transcode audio stream?

I have installed professional edition(trial period) of both Intel INDE and Intel MSS which supports audio plugin.

0 Kudos