Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Problem with HW encoding on Skylake processor.

Minoli_S_
Beginner

Hello,

I have installed Intel Media SDK 2016 on my Lenovo Flex3 1580 laptop having Windows 10 Operating system and intel processor. I have downloaded code samples MediaSamples_Windows_6.0.068.msi and trying to run sample_encode. I can successfully encode in sw mode. But I am not able to encode in Hardware (HW) mode. 

System Specifications:

• Processor: Intel Core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50 GHz
  • RAM: 8 GB 
  • Operating system: Windows 10 Home(64 bit)
  • Driver version: 10.18.15.4279

I downloaded latest graphic driver 15.40.10.64.4300 from downloadcenter.intel.com. But when I try to update my drivers, it fails. It is showing an error. I have attached screenshot of error that I am getting while updating drivers.

I have also attached below the result of Media SDK System Analyzer tool. 

Please suggest me why I am not able to encode stream in HW mode? Also how can I update latest graphics driver on my laptop?

Please help me to get the solution.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Minoli

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Minoli, 

Thank you sharing complete details of you system and snapshot of the issue. Intel graphics drivers from downloadcenter.intel.com are generic drivers. But, original equipment manufactures (OEMs) provide specific drivers with additional validation. In regard to graphics driver issue observed, the generic driver 15.40.10.64.4300 is yet to validated and distributed by OEM ( Lenovo) . Hence, you are observing graphics driver installation issue when installing the driver. But, I suggest following steps to resolve this driver installation issue.

1) Check with your OEM (Lenovo) support team for latest graphics drivers supported on your system. Install the latest driver supported.

2) From Win10, Microsoft provides automatic driver updates  via Windows updates. Check Windows updates and install latest  drivers available. 

3) You can also manually install  graphics driver on you machine. Check out this link: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/graphics-drivers/000005629.html

4) Once latest driver are installed, you might be interested in thread: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk/topic/593838

Let me know if any questions. 

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
Minoli_S_
Beginner

Hello Harsh,

Thank you so much for your support. I tried the steps you suggested. 

By updating windows and also updating graphics driver manually, I was able to solve my problem. 

Now with latest drivers, I can successfully encode using HW mode on my Lenovo laptop.

Thank you once again.

With regards,

Minoli

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Minoli, 

Glad, you were able to resolve driver installation issue. Closing this thread. Please start a new thread on forum for any further questions. 

Thanks, 

0 Kudos