Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.
3058 Discussions

Problem with sample_transcode* between SW and HW DLL and

ME
New Contributor I

Using the current tutorial sample_decode and sample_decode-d3d, this is my problem I am working on getting around.

The attached file (I named it t.264) runs very differently through the HW and SW DLLs.

simple_transcode and -d3d (in the current tutorial) using only the SW DLL

simple_transcode.exe  (SW DLL)
   Frame number: 691
   Execution time: 3.70s (186.58fps)

simple_transcode-d3d.exe  (SW DLL)
   Frame number: 21
   Execution time: 0.19s (109.49fps)

Each same EXEs run using HW DLL v 10.18.10.3349  dated 3 Nov 2013

simple_transcode.exe  (HW DLL)
   Frame number: 2
   Execution time: 0.02s (98.11fps)

simple_transcode-d3d.exe  (HW DLL)
   Execution time: 0.01s (142.31fps)

The t.264 source file was created by the IM SDK encoder.

The 691 frames is correct.

The only change to any of the source files (src, common, whatever) was the line

fopen_s(&fSource, "bbb1920x1080.264", "rb");

was changed to

fopen_s(&fSource, "t.264", "rb");

Now here is hoping I can attach the .h264 (715 KB only).  If not with this I give it a shot in a new post.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

there is a known issue with the current revision of the Media SDK tutorial for small compressed input files. From your description it seems you have encountered this issues. We plan to resolve this in a new release of the tutorial, due shortly.

In the meantime please insert the following code snippet:

if(MFX_ERR_MORE_DATA == sts)
            {
                // MFX_ERR_MORE_DATA indicates encoder need more input, request more surfaces from previous operation
                sts = MFX_ERR_NONE;
                continue;
            }

directly after the "for(;;) {....}" loop statement which encapsulates the EncodeFrameAsync call, for both the stage 1 and stage 2 parts of the code.

Regards,
Petter

0 Kudos
ME
New Contributor I

Yes, thanks, that did the trick (and 695 samples it is, not the 691 samples that made it through the first version).

C:\tmp>simple_transcode
Frame number: 695
Execution time: 2.38s (291.57fps)

Ready for hopefully another simple one?  Same t.264 file in the t_0.zip, this time with the sample decoder (regular sample, not the tutorial simple sample).

When playing the t.264 (create by the IM SDK encoder) file using the SDK sample decoder, for eeach of the frames it puts the following (the presenter line). Also, it stops at 691 frames, not 695 (I haven't counted to know for sure which it is but they can't both be right.)

Using  h264 -hw -i t.264 -r

Intel(R) Media SDK Decoding Sample Version 4.0.760.60203

Input video    AVC
Output format    YUV420
Resolution    640x368
Crop X,Y,W,H    0,0,0,0
Frame rate    30.00
Memory type        d3d
MediaSDK impl        hw_d3d11
MediaSDK version    1.7

Decoding started
DwmSetPresentParameters failed with error 0x80004001.
Frame number: 1
   :
Frame number: 690
Frame number: 691
Decoding finished

0 Kudos
Petter_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You will encounter the "DwmSetPresentParameters" log statement if you try to render the decoded content using Windows 8.1. Parts of the Microsoft DWM interface was deprecated in Windows 8.1.   This is not an issue, it just means the the rendering speed will be limited to lower frame rate.

Regards,
Petter

0 Kudos
ME
New Contributor I

Thanks.  Win8 messes with perfectly fine pre-8 code and (tl;dw).

There is still the frames count mismatch.  The sample from the SDK shows 691 frames.  The corrected simple sample from the tutorial shows 695.  I can take a look to see if it is the same problem (the SDK samples are very hairy compared to the simple tutorial samples).

SDK code samples are monkey-see, monkey-do things - give us a wrongly done sample code and most using-code will be no better.

0 Kudos