Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Problems launching quicksync on Ubuntu 12.04

Maksim_L_
Beginner

Hi.

I've bought intel media SDK for linux and following hardware: Intel S1200V3RPL motherboard and Intel Xeon E3-1200 v3 (rev 06) CPU.

Here is what I see in my server:

root@ubuntu:/opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/_bin/x64# lspci -nn |grep VGA
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200e [Pilot] ServerEngines (SEP1) [102b:0522] (rev 05)

ls /dev/dri/
root@ubuntu:/opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/_bin/x64# 

There are no files in /dev/dri and VGA controller differs from what does PDF file in SDK says.

Examples are not running:

root@ubuntu:/opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/_bin/x64# /sample_decode_drm h264 -i bunny.h264 

Return on error: error code -3, /home/msdk/mdp_msdk-samples/samples/sample_decode/src/pipeline_decode.cpp 158

Return on error: error code 1,  /home/msdk/mdp_msdk-samples/samples/sample_decode/src/sample_decodecpp  341

My questions are:

1) is hardware quicksync compatible? I was told that it is compatible before I bought it, but right now I'm not 100% sure

2) what are my steps for troubleshooting this installation? Maybe I need to do something to enable dri?

0 Kudos
25 Replies
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello there - Thanks for the question.

"root@ubuntu:/opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/_bin/x64# lspci -nn |grep VGA
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200e [Pilot] ServerEngines (SEP1) [102b:0522] (rev 05)"

- For install steps to work correctly, the we need Intel VGA adapter to show up. There is a workaround for this - you can go to the BIOS options and enable Processor Graphics (which is disabled by default). Before you do that, note that enabling Processor Graphics on Rainbow pass can lead to VGA getting disabled. So, use the mini display port to connect to a monitor instead.

This should get the installation going for you. Let us know if you have any more questions regarding that. We understand that the documentation and install guides may not cover all possible configurations out there, and we could surely improve them for future to fill gaps such as these. Thanks for pointing this out.

Regarding the error executing the samples: root@ubuntu:/opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/_bin/x64# /sample_decode_drm h264 -i bunny.h264

In the command-line, you are missing the "-hw" parameter. Give that parameter as well, and you should not see that error. Let me know if it works.

0 Kudos
Maksim_L_
Beginner

Thanks, I will try it ASAP.

0 Kudos
Maksim_L_
Beginner

There is no such feature in bios, like Processor graphics.

Advanced->PCI Configuration->Onboard Video   changed to Enable

Advanced->PCI Configuration->Primary Display   changed to Enable

Right now there is only:

03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200e [Pilot] ServerEngines (SEP1) (rev 05) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 0103

Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr+ Stepping- SERR+ FastB2B- DisINTx-

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 64 bytes

Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 11

Region 0: Memory at c2000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=16M]

Region 1: Memory at c1010000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]

Region 2: Memory at c0800000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=8M]

Expansion ROM at c1000000 [disabled] [size=64K]

Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)

Capabilities: [e4] Express (v1) Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00

DevCap: MaxPayload 256 bytes, PhantFunc 0, Latency L0s <64ns, L1 <1us

ExtTag- AttnBtn- AttnInd- PwrInd- RBE- FLReset-

DevCtl: Report errors: Correctable- Non-Fatal- Fatal- Unsupported-

RlxdOrd+ ExtTag- PhantFunc- AuxPwr- NoSnoop-

MaxPayload 128 bytes, MaxReadReq 128 bytes

DevSta: CorrErr- UncorrErr- FatalErr- UnsuppReq- AuxPwr- TransPend-

LnkCap: Port #0, Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, ASPM L0s, Latency L0 <64ns, L1 <1us

ClockPM- Surprise- LLActRep- BwNot-

LnkCtl: ASPM Disabled; RCB 64 bytes Disabled- Retrain- CommClk+

ExtSynch- ClockPM- AutWidDis- BWInt- AutBWInt-

LnkSta: Speed 2.5GT/s, Width x1, TrErr- Train- SlotClk+ DLActive- BWMgmt- ABWMgmt-

Capabilities: [54] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-

Address: 00000000  Data: 0000

root@ubuntu:/opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/_bin/x64# ./sample_decode_drm h264 -hw -i bunny.h264 

Return on error: error code -3,    /home/msdk/mdp_msdk-samples/samples/sample_decode/src/pipeline_decode.cpp    158

Return on error: error code 1,    /home/msdk/mdp_msdk-samples/samples/sample_decode/src/sample_decode.cpp    341

I'm really afraid that I was consulted to buy wrong motherboard =(  Can anyone check again this device and tell if must be QuickSync compatible?

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello there - We are taking a look at your issue as we speak, and we will get back to you ASAP with a solution. 

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

You are almost there getting this to work. In BIOS -> PCI Configuration -> {Onboard Video, Primary Display} are the options you want to change. Here are the changes:

Onboard Display -> Disable

Primary Display -> Intel graphics or something similar to that

When rebooting the machine after these changes, make sure the display cable to monitor is attached to the mini display port and not VGA (since VGA will stop working).

Once you do these above three steps, you should be good. Let me know if this works for you. Else, we can surely help you.

0 Kudos
Maksim_L_
Beginner

Sorry, but what do you mean by mini display port? Mini HDMI?

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

I meant any other display port but VGA. By doing the above-mentioned, your VGA port will not work. (I should not have said mini display port, my bad).

There are three options on how to make this work:

1. Follow the above steps (from my previous post), and use non-VGA port to connect to your monitor. That should work for the installation.

2. If you do not have non-VGA port on your board, then you can run the system headless and use the network client (SSH or telnet) to login to the machine. This involves setting up in two stages - first, get all the network set-up and ensure you can login to the machine and can access it via SSH. The second stage is to reboot into BIOS mode and disable the Onboard Display and use Intel graphics for the Primary Display. When you do that, the only way to work on the machine is via SSH/network.

3. On a side note - We have validated (due to availability) our installation on S1200V3RPM system and it works well on that. If you have that flavor of Rainbow Pass, that will work. If you are trying to work on S1200V3RPL, the above two options should get you started.

I hope this fixes your issues. If you are stumbling into more problems, feel free to send in more details and we will surely try to help.

0 Kudos
Maksim_L_
Beginner

When I change "Onboard video" to "Disabled", then in menu "Primary display" I have only "PCI Addon Card".

After I change it and save BIOS settings, I reboot but nothing changes in BIOS: I login back and see again that "onboard video" is "Enabled" and "Primary display" is "Onboard video".

So I cannot disable onboard video, because after reboot BIOS changes back "Onboard video" to "Enabled".  And there is no such option like "Intel graphic".

What are my further steps? 

0 Kudos
Aleksandr_S_
Beginner

Hello,

I have the same problem s1200v3rp. In a video BIOS is activated again after the restart. Updating the BIOS did not help. The problem of incorrect work bios.

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello - "When I change "Onboard video" to "Disabled", then in menu "Primary display" I have only "PCI Addon Card"."  -> As we've researched this problem, we have identified the root cause as the hardware. The hardware does not support using the Intel Integrated graphics on chip except in the RPM version of the motherboard. Our sincere apologies - we definitely understand the inconvenience and the frustration this causes. We're very actively investigating ways that we can make information about supported platforms available and accessible for the future. 

p18 in http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/g84364004_s1200v3rp_tps_r1_3.pdf. "Only S1200V3RPM supports integrated graphics support for processors with Intel® Graphics Technology."

0 Kudos
Maksim_L_
Beginner

Very good.

I've asked several times your colleagues before buying this motherboard if it supports QuickSync.

So you are 100% sure that Intel S1200V3RPM will support QuickSync?

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Yes, S1200V3RPM has been validated and will support it. We mention it in our product landing page here - https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio/details. Thanks.

Suggested servers include the following:

0 Kudos
Aleksandr_S_
Beginner

Hello,

Make support for s1200v3rpl. So I can disable the video matrox.Correct work bios. Make your selection on the video card CPU. 

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello Aleksandr - I assume you are referring to these steps (I mention these in my previous responses on this thread):

In BIOS, Onboard Display -> Disable; Primary Display -> Intel graphics or something similar to that

For S1200V3RPL, this methodology does not work, as I explained in my response above, and Maksim observed the same. If you are suggesting a workaround, can you please elaborate? If I misunderstood your response, please elaborate on that as well. Thanks.

0 Kudos
Maksim_L_
Beginner

Ok, let's continue.

I've bought S1200V3RPM, enabled internal graphic.

Now I see:

# lspci -vv |grep -A 5 Graphic

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3 Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 06) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])

Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 2010

Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx+

Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B+ ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-

I see dri now:

# ls /dev/dri/

card0  controlD64

But still no luck with SDK:

root@ubuntu:/opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/_bin/x64# ./sample_decode_drm h264 -hw -i bunny.h264 -o bunny.yuv

Return on error: error code -3,    /home/msdk/mdp_msdk-samples/samples/sample_decode/src/pipeline_decode.cpp    158

Return on error: error code 1,    /home/msdk/mdp_msdk-samples/samples/sample_decode/src/sample_decode.cpp    341

root@ubuntu:/opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/_bin/x64# ./sample_decode_x11 h264 -hw -i bunny.h264 -o bunny.yuv

What is wrong now?

0 Kudos
Maksim_L_
Beginner

By the way: where do I need to enter my serial number for product?

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello Maksim - I see that you are trying to run the pre-built binaries. Instead, please use the build.pl script to build the samples on your system (debug or release versions). You will need Cmake to build them. Let me know if that works for you. Here are the steps, just in case:

/opt/intel/mediasdk/samples# perl build.pl --cmake=intel64.make.debug --build --clean

The binaries can be found in: /opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/__cmake/intel64.make.debug/__bin/debug (replace debug -> release if you chose the release option).

Let me know if you have any issues here - will surely help.

0 Kudos
Maksim_L_
Beginner

Well, perhaps we are closed, but we are not there yet.  Quicksync is still not working:

cd /opt/intel/mediasdk/samples

export MFX_HOME=/opt/intel/mediasdk

perl build.pl --cmake=intel64.make.debug --build --clean

make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/__cmake/intel64.make.debug'

/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report /opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/__cmake/intel64.make.debug/CMakeFiles  26 27

[100%] Built target sample_rotate_plugin

make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/__cmake/intel64.make.debug'

/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_start /opt/intel/mediasdk/samples/__cmake/intel64.make.debug/CMakeFiles 0

[ intel64.make.debug                                 State: OK   ] 

What I get after it:

# ls __cmake/intel64.make.debug/__bin/debug/

libsample_rotate_plugin.so

# ls __cmake/intel64.make.debug/sample_decode/

CMakeFiles  cmake_install.cmake  Makefile

Guys, I'm not sure that you have ever tried to use your instructions. Maybe check them twice and I will download working package?

Also why doesn't work prebuilt binaries?  I will have to recompile my software on each customer's computer?

0 Kudos
Maksim_L_
Beginner

By the way, there are some very strange things in documentation:

To install Ubuntu 12.04 runtime package:
$ sudo dpkg i intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu_16.3.2.22368_amd64.deb

Tells us mediasdk_getting_started_guide.pdf on page 3.

But there are only:

root@ubuntu:~/MediaServerStudioEssentials2015# ls

Intel(R) Media Server Studio - Essentials Edition EULA.pdf  MediaServerStudioDevSLES2015.rpm                  MediaServerStudioRuntimeUbuntu2015.deb

mediasdk_getting_started_guide.pdf                          MediaServerStudioDevUbuntu2015.deb                redist.txt

MediaServerStudioCommonSLES2015.tar.gz                      media_server_studio_essentials_release_notes.pdf  site_license_materials.txt

MediaServerStudioCommonUbuntu2015.tar.gz                    MediaServerStudioRuntimeSLES2015.rpm              third_party_programs.txt

What is meant by "intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu"?

If I try to install package MediaServerStudioDevUbuntu2015.deb, it shows us following:

# dpkg -i MediaServerStudioDevUbuntu2015.deb 

Selecting previously unselected package intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu.

(Reading database ... 90703 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu (from MediaServerStudioDevUbuntu2015.deb) ...

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu:

intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu depends on intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu; however:

Package intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu is not installed.

dpkg: error processing intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu (--install):

dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Errors were encountered while processing:

intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu

But if I try to install both packages, I get:

root@ubuntu:~/MediaServerStudioEssentials2015# dpkg -i MediaServerStudioDevUbuntu2015.deb MediaServerStudioRuntimeUbuntu2015.deb 

(Reading database ... 91099 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to replace intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu 16.3.2.22368 (using MediaServerStudioDevUbuntu2015.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu ...

Preparing to replace intel-linux-media-ubuntu 16.3.2.22368 (using MediaServerStudioRuntimeUbuntu2015.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement intel-linux-media-ubuntu ...

Replaced by files in installed package intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu ...

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu:

intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu depends on intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu; however:

Package intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu is not installed.

dpkg: error processing intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu (--install):

dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

Setting up intel-linux-media-ubuntu (16.3.2.22368) ...

MediaSDK installed successfully in /opt/intel/mediasdk!

Original i915.ko backuped in /ko_backup//i915.ko.2014-11-17_191554

Original drm KOs backuped in /ko_backup//

KMDs installed successufully. need reboot.

After reboot, you can 'lsmod' to identify whether i915.ko loaded. if not, you have to rebuild kernel by yourself with patched files (kdm/source) in this package.

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-3.8.0-23-generic

Kernel module updated successfully!

When your platform is xeon on ubuntu 12.04, after ko updated, you should also upgrade libdrm and xf86-video 2D driver for hardware support. (if you already done this before, please ignore.)

After reboot, you can 'lsmod' to identify whether or not i915.ko loaded.

if not, you have to rebuild whole kernel with kdm_patched_source(/kmd/source/) manually.

Errors were encountered while processing:

intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu

So it looks like package intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu has dependency  intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu, but  MediaServerStudioRuntimeUbuntu2015 is named intel-linux-media-ubuntu

You should really try to follow you instructions and fix manual.

0 Kudos
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hello there - I apologize for the trouble this is causing you, and I understand your frustrations. Based on your commands, there are a few things that should fix the problem:

1> You are using R1 version of Essentials package. Can you update to the latest R2 version that was released on Nov 6? This does not have any discrepancies. Once you do, highlighted are the files of relevance to your system.

linux-2od0:/home/lmsdk/Testing/MediaServerStudioEssentials2015R2 # ls
intel_ocl_code_builder_mss_4.6.0.147_x64.tgz  media_server_studio_essentials_release_notes.pdf  SDK2015Preview16.4.tar.gz         site_license_materials.txt
Intel(R) Media Server Studio EULA.pdf         redist.txt                                        SDK2015Production16.3.2.1.tar.gz  third_party_programs.txt
linux-2od0:/home/lmsdk/Testing/MediaServerStudioEssentials2015R2 # tar -xvzf SDK2015Production16.3.2.1.tar.gz
linux-2od0:/home/lmsdk/Testing/MediaServerStudioEssentials2015R2/SDK2015Production16.3.2.1 # ls
intel-linux-media-dev-sles-16.3.2.1.26973-64bit.x86_64.rpm  intel-linux-media-runtime-sles-16.3.2.1.26973-64bit.x86_64.rpm  intel-linux-media_sles_16.3.2.1.26973_64bit.tar.gz    media_server_studio_sdk_getting_started_guide.pdf
intel-linux-media-dev-ubuntu_16.3.2.1.26973_amd64.deb       intel-linux-media-runtime-ubuntu_16.3.2.1.26973_amd64.deb       intel-linux-media_ubuntu_16.3.2.1.26973_64bit.tar.gz  media_server_studio_sdk_release_notes.pdf

Once you do this, follow the instructions in the getting_started_guide -> "Installation Prerequisites" and "Installation with install_media.sh (recommended)" sections. That should get you set-up. The media sdk should be installed in /opt/intel/mediasdk

After that, please download the samples from here. After you download and untar, copy the samples/ builder/ folder to /opt/intel/mediasdk. Now, build the samples using the build.pl script and cmake. This should get you started.

0 Kudos