Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Problems with function MFXVideoENCODE_Init

Clemens_K_
Beginner

Hy,

Hy, I tried to use the simple_encode example in a linux environmet. Everything is compiling fine but when I start the software it always stops at the function MFXVideoENCODE_Init with the error code: MFX_ERR_NOT_INITIALIZED. How can I solve that? I've added the sourcecode in the attachment.

One thing, that might cause the problem is, that I wasn't able to link the libmfx.a. I used the dynamic library libmfxhw64.so which compliled fine. I also tried to link the libmfx.a but that gave me the errors as you can see in compileOutput.txt.

Thanks in advance

Clemens

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Jeffrey_M_Intel1
Employee

Hi Clemens,

There are not many differences between Media SDK for Linux and Windows, but you have run into one of them.  For Windows, passing a HW device handle to MSDK is only required when using GPU memory.  For Linux this step is required for ALL Media SDK applications.

The code should look something like this:

mfxIMPL impl = MFX_IMPL_HARDWARE_ANY;
mfxVersion ver = { 0, 1 };
MFXVideoSession session;

// Initialize Intel Media SDK Session
sts = session.Init(impl, &ver);

// Create VA display
int fd = open("/dev/dri/card0", O_RDWR);
VADisplay va_dpy = vaGetDisplayDRM(fd);
int maj_ver, min_ver;
vaInitialize(va_dpy, &maj_ver, &min_ver);

// Provide VA display handle to Media SDK
session.SetHandle(static_cast < mfxHandleType >
(MFX_HANDLE_VA_DISPLAY), va_dpy);

While it is possible to compile with gcc it will take some modifications from the code you've attached.  g++ will be an easier starting point.

In case it might help I've added a reference makefile below.

EXEC=simple_session
SRCS=simple_session.cpp

CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include -I$(MFX_HOME)/include
LFLAGS=-L$(MFX_HOME)/lib/lin_x64 -lmfx -ldl -lpthread -lva -lva-drm -lstdc++

$(EXEC): $(SRCS) Makefile
g++ -o $(EXEC) $(SRCS) $(CFLAGS) $(LFLAGS)

We are working on more documentation and simple examples for Linux.  Please stay tuned.

0 Kudos