Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Python Decode

RAror6
New Contributor I

I have two questions regarding the python decode in oneapi-cli.

1) I am running this code in Visual Studio (Windows) and on DevCloud. It doesn't work on either. In visual studio i get a blurred and highly distorted output. In DevCloud I get an error when running decode.

2) The ReadMe says that i can write to a file named 'out_352x288.rgba', but I don't see the code for that in the sample. Can I get some help on how to write it to that file?

Thank you so much!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi RAror6,

Did you still have this issue?

As Luis point out, you can't run this sample in DevCloud environment but you can try it in a local environment. I saw your other post to solved a dependent library issue so you might already do it.

We should fix the file path, so the sample could save an output file in DevCloud case, but as I mentioned, we have changed our spec to remove the Python support so we will not fix the issue.

Again, thanks so much for helping us and feedbacks. You might continue checking our new product at :

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/oneapi/base-toolkit.html

The new source code is at:

https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneVPL

Mark

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RAror6
New Contributor I

An Update:

1) I tried running the entire thing from the command line using the command 'python decode_vpp.py /path/to/video'. This didn't work either.

2) I changed it form H264 to H265 format and tried to decode another file. I even tried NV12. Changing the file didn't work either.

3) I changed the way the file was being read. Instead of using the vpl read I am now using an io_read. Further, I have changed the path of the file being read. This gives the same result as before.

Is it possible the python decoder in VPL is faulty? I would really love some help in this as it is time critical. Thank you!

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi RAror6,

Sorry for the late response. You should be able to run python code with VS 2019 and I am not sure if the other version support Python. So the error you got from Visual Studio is probably caused by older VS version.

I check the decode sample and I don't think the output to a file is implemented. I do believe they had a plan and this was why the README document had it, but they might make some mistake when publishing it.

The current sample only has a rendering option, this is why you got an error on DevCloud; DevCloud doesn't have environment for rendering.

These error should be fixed but I don't believe we will do it recently. This is caused by the recent change to the spec, we don't have a Python support yet.

https://spec.oneapi.com/versions/latest/elements/oneVPL/source/index.html

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any suggestions.

Mark

0 Kudos
RAror6
New Contributor I

Hey Mark,

I am running my code in Visual Studio 2019. Unfortunately I still get these errors.

I have checked my python libraries and paths. I am running intelpython and my versions of tcl and tk match.

Is there any other possible solution to this? 

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Luis_at_Intel

Hi @RAror6 ,

Just as marked stated in his response, the current sample only has a rendering option so it won't work on DevCloud as DevCloud doesn't have environment for rendering. Also there currently isn't Python support yet so that is probably the reason why you see these errors for oneVPL.  

That being said, what are the errors you get from VS2019? Could you share more details on what these are?

Regards,

Luis

0 Kudos
Mark_L_Intel1

Hi RAror6,

Did you still have this issue?

As Luis point out, you can't run this sample in DevCloud environment but you can try it in a local environment. I saw your other post to solved a dependent library issue so you might already do it.

We should fix the file path, so the sample could save an output file in DevCloud case, but as I mentioned, we have changed our spec to remove the Python support so we will not fix the issue.

Again, thanks so much for helping us and feedbacks. You might continue checking our new product at :

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/tools/oneapi/base-toolkit.html

The new source code is at:

https://github.com/oneapi-src/oneVPL

Mark

0 Kudos