Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Question about using HEVC plugin in Media SDK samples

chao_s_
Beginner

I'm now learning programming with intel media sdk, for using hevc plugin, I installed Intel media server studio for windows (Evaluation), and copied the HEVC plugin from media server studio install dir:

C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Media Server Studio 2015 R6\HEVC Decoder & Encoder\Plugin

To Media SDK plugin dir:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\Intel(R)_Media_SDK_2016.0.1\bin\x64

I'm not quite sure this is the correct way to install plug-in on Media SDK, for there was screen capture plugin mfxplugin64_screen_capture.dll located here, so I guess this is the plugin dir for media sdk.

Now I do some test with sample_encode and sample_decode which part of Intel Media Samples following its document: readme-encode.pdf

First soft encode:

sample_encode.exe h265 -i input.yuv -o output.h265 -w 352 -h 288 -b 256 -f 30 -u speed -d3d11 -sw

It works fine, even i didn't use the -p arg to specify the guid of mfxplugin64_hevce_sw

Then hard encode:

sample_encode.exe h265 -i input.yuv -o output.h265 -w 352 -h 288 -b 256 -f 30 -u speed -d3d11 -hw -p e5400a06c74d41f5b12d430bbaa23d0b

Where e5400a06c74d41f5b12d430bbaa23d0b is the dir name (also the guid) where mfxplugin64_hevce_hw.dll located.

It fails with the output:

Return on error: error code -3, src\pipeline_encode.cpp 574
Return on error: error code -3, src\pipeline_encode.cpp 1156
Return on error: error code -3, src\pipeline_encode.cpp 1086
Return on error: error code 1,  src\sample_encode.cpp   656

The soft decode:the output.h265

./sample_decode.exe h265 -i output.h265 -o test.yuv

sample_decode.exe h265 -i output.h265 -o test.yuv -p 15dd936825ad475ea34e35f3f54217a6

Where 15dd936825ad475ea34e35f3f54217a6 is the dir name for mfxplugin64_hevcd_sw.dll

All fail with the output:

Return on error: error code -3, src\pipeline_decode.cpp 541
Return on error: error code -3, src\pipeline_decode.cpp 271
Return on error: error code 1,  src\sample_decode.cpp   501

I don't know what's going wrong?!! Is it the problem the way i use the plugin???

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Sravanthi_K_Intel

Hi Chao,

The default plugin that is called when you dont specify "-p" parameter is the SW plugin, To enforce any other plugin, you have to use "-p" to specify it.

Did you install the HEVC package on your system? The eval version of MSS does not come with HEVC package. You need to download the Pro version for it that has the HEVC package, and install the package.

I tested your command lines above and they work fine for me. I have MSS pro installed that has the HEVC package. 

0 Kudos
chao_s_
Beginner

Hi, Sravanthi

Thank you for your kindly help.

Through debugging, I found the the program (sample_encode) fails on Version Check, in pipeline_encode.cpp:1022

if (CheckVersion(&version, MSDK_FEATURE_PLUGIN_API))

It didn't run into this if block in which "LoadPlugin" was called.

When program hits here, MSDK_FEATURE_PLUGIN_API = 7; version { minor = 7, major = 1 Version = 65543 }

The HEVC encoder's plugin.cfg as follows:

PluginVersion = 1
APIVersion    = 272 //0x0110
FileName32    = "mfxplugin32_hevce_hw.dll" 
FileName64    = "mfxplugin64_hevce_hw.dll" 
Type          = 02 //encode
CodecID       = "HEVC"
Default       = 0

On my pc, I firstly installed Intel Media SDK 2016 and then installed Intel Media server Studio 2015 R6 prof.

And the environment variable "INTELMEDIASDKROOT = C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Media Server Studio 2015 R6\Software Development Kit\"

I still have not got the solution yet!!!

0 Kudos
walker_y_
Beginner

recently, I have got the same problem, Have you solved ?

0 Kudos