Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

QuickSync on discrete GPUs, headless mode

r00tb33r
Novice

As Intel is entering the discrete GPU market with the soon upcoming DG2 (Arc) products, and with the currently available DG1 (Iris Xe), there is a need for ability to process video using QuickSync without a monitor connected to a specific GPU.  I mean not even a dummy dongle.

Take for instance my configuration, I have three (3) DG1 (Iris Xe) cards connected at a time, running separately assigned QSV video transcodes (FFmpeg via Media SDK).  I have to have desktops extended to monitors (even if dummy) on those cards, otherwise can't get a DirectX surface, Windows 10 (or 11) being the operating system.

Those extra desktops are really a nuisance with remote access via remote administration tools (VNC and the like, KVM hardware).  There needs to be a solution for using those cards without monitors (and Windows desktops).

Can this be solved going forward?  With the arrival of discrete DG2 (Arc) products there will be more need for this.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Steven_Intel

Hello r00tb33r,

Thank you for posting on the Intel® communities.

We are going to review the information you have provided and let you know as soon as I have an update.

Best regards,

Steven G.

Intel Customer Support Technician.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Hello r00tb33r,

We have tried to reproduce the issue by performing these steps:

1. Installed Windows 11 on a Tiger Lake (TGL) system (DG1 shares the same graphics architecture as TGL).
  2. Installed FFMpeg.
  3. Enabled Windows Remote Desktop.
  4. Disconnected all video outputs.
  5. From a second PC, I connected using the Windows Remote Desktop to the TGL system.
  6. Transcoded a video file with FFMpeg using the QuckSync decoder and encoder.
  7. Video Transcode was successful of the TGL with no monitors connected.

This indicates that FFMpeg is capable of using the Intel® Quick Sync capabilities even with no monitor connected to the system.

Could you please provide detailed steps to try reproducing the issue on our side?

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Were you able to check the previous post?

Let us know if you still need assistance.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos
Steven_Intel

Since we have not heard back from you, we will close this thread. If you need any additional information, please submit a new question, as this thread will no longer be monitored.

Best regards,

Steven G.

0 Kudos