Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Quicksync doesn't work in 64-bit on some computers (Windows N + HD 3000)

Vladimir_H_
Beginner

Hi. We find that QuickSync does not work in 64-bit on computer with Windows N and Intel HD 3000 graphics card. We investigated this issue and find following.

1. 32-bit and 64-bit hardware dlls present and located in same folder.

2. Quicksync works in 32-bit application but in 64-bit application it does not work.

3. MFXInit function call fails in 64-bit with MFX_ERR_UNSUPPORTED error code, I tried also automatic detection.

Analyzer tool logs for 32-bit and 64-bit attached.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Is there a monitor attached to the Intel Graphics Adapter in both cases?
(Direct3D 9 requires this).

Was the 64-bit OS 'upgraded' from previous OS?
Can you try re-installing the 64-bit graphics drivers from intel.com?

Is this platform a system that shipped with both NVIDIA and Intel adapters or did you add the NVIDIA device? (There are some systems that require special drivers, but I suspect this is not the case because 32-bit support is working.

I suspect driver install will fix issue.  If you still see issue, I can suggest more things to try.

0 Kudos
Geminiano_L_
Beginner

"Can you try re-installing the 64-bit graphics drivers from intel.com?"

I'm a colleague of the original poster. 

We did this first with the latest release (April 10, 2014), and detection seems to work.

For good measure, we reverted to the original state where the machine was using the current Windows driver, and detection failed

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Do you know how the 9.17.10.3347 driver that is showing the issue got installed?

Was this system upgraded from previous OS?  (There is a known issue with upgrading from old OS with old driver to new OS).

Since we always recommend using the latest drivers anyway, it may not be worth investigating, but if you happen to have information, it is appreciated. THANKS

0 Kudos
Geminiano_L_
Beginner

No, the machine wasn't upgraded from a previous OS, but a clean installation of the 8.1 "N" version 64-bit. This version of Windows, however, doesn't have the Windows Media Feature Pack, and QuickSync doesn't seem to work without it, ie detection fails.

I proceeded to download the Media Foundation package for "N" version, and after installation, observed that detection works for 32-bit, but failed on 64-bit. While this setup is still on a Windows driver version, at that time, I thought about downloading a newer version from the Intel website, but the driver update utility reported that I already have the current driver version.

I only learned of the latest update after your recommendation; and ran the same update utility. I am attaching the analyzer logs for the current driver version.

0 Kudos
Anthony_P_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for providing output of analyzer. These show Media SDK API working as expected for both 32-bit and 64-bit applications (with HW accelerated support through API 1.4), as well as an installed H.264 Encoder Media Foundation Transform.

I had not realized the Media Foundation package was necessary for 64-bit MediaSDK API usage.  This was not the case on earlier operating systems.  (It is understandably necessary for "Media Foundation" usage).

Thank you for providing this information.

0 Kudos