Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

Resource leak after 150 days uptime?

Todd_S_5
Beginner

I'm using Media SDK 2014 R2 to do hardware accelerated decoding and encoding.

I'm trying to track down a suspected resource leak that is causing our systems to hang after 150 days of uptime.

I am hoping it has been fixed in subsequent versions of the SDK but I am unable to locate release notes for anything but the most recent version.

Are there older version SDK release notes available somewhere?

Also, Is anyone aware of long-term resource leaks that exist in the 2014 R2 SDK?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Todd, 

MediaSDK 2014 R2 version is very old and we have had several new releases since then. With every new release we have critical fixes and is compatible with all previous releases. Latest MediaSDK 2016 is available at https://software.intel.com/en-us/media-sdk. Please update to latest release. Media SDK 2016 R2 release notes is available here: https://software.intel.com/sites/default/files/mediasdk_release_notes.pdf

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
Todd_S_5
Beginner

First, thanks for your response.

Because we have a few thousand instances of this running in remote locations it is not a trivial matter to update them all.

And because there is such a long time (150 days) before the problem appears, it may take a significant amount of time to know if the latest version has fixed the issue.

I was hoping to get an indication that a problem had been fixed in this area before starting to test the latest version, but all I could find were the release notes for the latest version (which did not seem to mention anything that looked like it may be related).

Do you know where I can get release notes for the cumulative fixes between these two versions?

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Todd, 

We have had several MediaSDK (MSDK) and drivers releases with many fixes from 2014. Currently MediaSDK API support 1.19. Unfortunately, we do not have release notes listed from MSDK 2014. As, it is best to always update to latest MSDK version as it provides pointer for debugging a issue. Hence, I recommend you test on single system with latest MediaSDK and drivers installed and let us know if issue is still seen. We can help and will able to traige the issue further if still observed on latest SDK/drivers installed.

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
OTorg
New Contributor III

It may be the same (or closely related) issue as described here:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-media-sdk/topic/475624?page=1#comment-1779278

Reproducer applications (that pretty quickly discover the problems) are also provided.

0 Kudos
OTorg
New Contributor III

PS:
Yes, this bugstory has continued for over three years ...
:)

0 Kudos