Media (Intel® Video Processing Library, Intel Media SDK)
Access community support with transcoding, decoding, and encoding in applications using media tools like Intel® oneAPI Video Processing Library and Intel® Media SDK
Announcements
The Intel Media SDK project is no longer active. For continued support and access to new features, Intel Media SDK users are encouraged to read the transition guide on upgrading from Intel® Media SDK to Intel® Video Processing Library (VPL), and to move to VPL as soon as possible.
For more information, see the VPL website.

S3D output on Skylake

Peter_B_7
Beginner

Hello,

we are currently using the Media SDK (latest version, i.e. Intel_Media_SDK_2016.msi) for decoding H.264 MVC files and rendering them to a 3D display using igfx_s3dcontrol. The 3D display used is a Philips 278G4. The sofware we developed is running fine (S3D output looks great!) on our first test system, based on Windows 7 and a Core i5-4590T CPU.

However, the software does not work on our second test system, which uses a Core i5-6600 CPU under Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro. The issue observed is, that IGFXS3DControl::GetS3DCaps() returns 0x80004002 (E_NOINTERFACE).

Just to be sure, we checked the graphics driver version (which is up to date, i.e. win64_154014.4352.exe) and tried the MVC decoding provided along with the latest SDK samples (MediaSamples_Windows_2016.msi from February 18th 2016) -- the issue remains. The Philips display is the primary screen (in fact it is the only screen connected) and it is reported as a valid 3D display by Windows: E.g. accessing the desktop resolution dialog, Windows recommends "1920 x 1080 (recommended, 3D)".

Are there any known issues with S3D output on Skylake? Or any addtional requirements regarding the configuration?

Thanks for any advice,

Peter

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Peter, 

Its great to hear that you are able to successfully able to get MediaSDK working on Win7. This (igfx_s3dcontrol) API only supports Win 7. For Windows 8 and newer OS versions we recommend using standard APIs available from Microsoft SDK which adds D3D11 support. 

Thanks, 

0 Kudos
Peter_B_7
Beginner

Hi Harsh,

thank you for the reply; this, of course, explains why we didn't get the application to running properly.

It would be a good idea to update the API guide PDF to igfx_s3dcontrol, which clearly says "Microsoft Windows 7 and Microsoft Windows 8 only".

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
Harshdeep_B_Intel

Hi Peter, 

Thank you for your input. We will update the API guide in upcoming MediaSDK release. 

Thanks, 

0 Kudos